Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Vinay Chella <vi...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/19 02:18:29 UTC

Request to review feature-freeze proposed tickets

Hi,

We still have 15 Patch Available/ open tickets which were requested for
reviews before the Sep 1, 2018 freeze. I am starting this email thread to
resurface and request a review of community tickets as most of these
tickets address vital correctness, performance, and usability bugs that
help avoid critical production issues. I tried to provide context on why we
feel these tickets are important to get into 4.0. If you would like to
discuss the technical details of a particular ticket, let's try to do that
in JIRA.

CASSANDRA-14525: Cluster enters an inconsistent state after bootstrap
failures. (Correctness bug, Production impact, Ready to Commit)

CASSANDRA-14459: DES sends requests to the wrong nodes routinely. (SLA
breaking latencies, Production impact, Review in progress)

CASSANDRA-14303 and CASSANDRA-14557: Currently production 3.0+ clusters
cannot be rebuilt after node failure due to 3.0’s introduction of the
system_auth keyspace with rf of 1. These tickets both fix the regression
introduced in 3.0 by letting operators configure rf=3 and prevent future
outages (Usability bug, Production impact, Patch Available).

CASSANDRA-14096: Cassandra 3.11.1 Repair Causes Out of Memory. We believe
this may also impact 3.0 (Title says it all, Production impact, Patch
Available)

CASSANDRA-10023: It is impossible to accurately determine local read/write
calls on C*. This patch allows users to detect when they are choosing
incorrect coordinators. (Usability bug (troubleshoot), Review in progress)

CASSANDRA-10789: There is no way to safely stop bad clients bringing down
C* nodes. This patch would give operators a very important tool to use
during production incidents to mitigate impact. (Usability bug, Production
Impact (recovery), Patch Available)

CASSANDRA-13010: No visibility into which disk is being compacted to.
(Usability bug, Production Impact (troubleshoot), Review in progress)

CASSANDRA-12783 - Break up large MV mutations to prevent OOMs (Title says
it all, Production Impact, Patch InProgress/ Awaiting Feedback)

CASSANDRA-14319 - nodetool rebuild from DC lets you pass invalid
datacenters (Usability bug, Production impact, Patch available)

CASSANDRA-13841 - Smarter nodetool rebuild. Kind of a bug but would be nice
to get it in 4.0. (Production Impact (recovery), Patch Available)

CASSANDRA-9452: Cleanup of old configuration, confusing to new C*
operators. (Cleanup, Patch Available)

CASSANDRA-14309: Hint window persistence across the record. This way hints
that are accumulated over a period of time when nodes are creating are less
likely to take down the entire cluster. (Potential Production Impact, Patch
Available)

CASSANDRA-14291: Bug from CASSANDRA-11163? (Usability Bug, Patch Available)

CASSANDRA-10540: RangeAware compaction. 256 vnode clusters really need this
to be able to do basic things like repair. The patch needs some rework
after transient replication (Production impact, needs contributor time)

URL for all the tickets: JIRA
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12345151&jql=project%20%3D%20CASSANDRA%20AND%20key%20in%20(CASSANDRA-14525%2C%20CASSANDRA-13010%2C%20CASSANDRA-10023%2C%20CASSANDRA-10789%2C%20CASSANDRA-13841%2C%20CASSANDRA-14309%2C%20CASSANDRA-12783%2C%20CASSANDRA-14291%2C%20CASSANDRA-10540%2C%20CASSANDRA-14303%2C%20CASSANDRA-14557%2C%20CASSANDRA-14459%2C%20CASSANDRA-9452%2C%20CASSANDRA-14096%2C%20CASSANDRA-14319)%20ORDER%20BY%20assignee%20ASC%2C%20reporter%20ASC>

Let me know.
Thanks,
Vinay Chella

Re: Request to review feature-freeze proposed tickets

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
If nobody has any objections to CASSANDRA-14303 (default RF) being merged
in I can take care of it.  It's a significant usability improvement, looks
well tested and will prevent a number of headaches.

I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

Thanks for bringing these up, Vinay.

Jon

Jon Haddad
http://www.rustyrazorblade.com
twitter: rustyrazorblade

Re: Request to review feature-freeze proposed tickets

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <su...@gmail.com>.
Another note about 14557 - this also lets us fix 3.0 regression where we
cannot bootstrap new nodes until system_auth keyspace (that comes up with
RF=1) is "altered" to a higher RF. Instead, with 14557, one can set yaml
property minimum_keyspace_rf to, say, 3 and system keyspaces would honor it
(more in the JIRA).

Thanks,
Sumanth

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinay Chella <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sankalp Kohli <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
> If those tickets were sitting in patch available state prior to the
freeze they *should* get in.

Posted by "dinesh.joshi@yahoo.com.INVALID" <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Kurt, I don't believe this should be subject of "heated debate". If those tickets were sitting in patch available state prior to the freeze they *should* get in.

Posted by kurt greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.

Posted by Ariel Weisberg <ad...@fastmail.fm>.
Hi,