Posted to dev@community.apache.org by sh...@e-z.net on 2013/08/27 07:43:17 UTC

[EECS] Engineering and Computer Science Schools - Outreach

FYI

Example Outreach Program
Computer Science and Engineering Schools

-------------------
Oregon State University has a successful program to involve businesses and
open-source software communities to sponsor senior student projects in their
schools of engineering and computer science.

Mike Bailey (http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/~mjb) is the senior professor in
charge of the Capstone senior projects program.  The school is looking for
mentors and projects for the coming school year.

I have already proposed a project that may use Apache Lucene or Apache
Cassandra software to index semi-structured data for document retrieval
and investigative research.  I will be the mentor of this project.

   Steven J. Hathaway (shathaway@a.o)

The school would like to have project descriptions available by the end
of August so they can be reviewed by students when they apply in September.
The projects are expected to occupy student time from October through May.
At the end of the year, an engineering EXPO will be held to showcase
student engineering projects.

Contact Mike Baily for details of the Capstone student engineering project
program.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway
Apache Software Foundation