Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de> on 2011/11/14 15:18:13 UTC

Font related questions

Hi,

In the process of removing the liberation fonts (they are under GPL
license, issue 118600) I stumbled upon some font related questions.
Maybe someone on this list can provide answers.

1. The gentium basic fonts are under the SIL Open Font License.  This
looks OK to me but I am not a lawyer.  Is this a category A, B or X license?

2. The license of the open symbol font is unclear, it only has a
copyright notice (to Oracle).  Issue 89686 complains about this.  There
are comments about the intention of putting it under LGPL.  But the last
comment of the issue is more than three years old and its status is
STARTED.  Does anybody know more about this?

Additional information:

- External fonts are contained in archives in ext-sources:
   Gentium Basic Fonts:
      35efabc239af896dfb79be7ebdd6e6b9-gentiumbasic-fonts-1.10.zip

   Liberation Fonts:

ca4870d899fd7e943ffc310a5421ad4d-liberation-fonts-ttf-1.06.0.20100721.tar.gz

   They are processed in the more_fonts module.

- The Symbol Font can be found in extras/source/truetype/opens___.ttf

Regards,
Andre

Re: Font related questions

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11/14/2011 03:35 PM, schrieb Simon Phipps:

> On 14 Nov 2011, at 06:33, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>
>> Hi Andre;
>>
>> --- On Mon, 11/14/11, Andre Fischer<af...@a-w-f.de>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In the process of removing the liberation fonts (they are
>>> under GPL license, issue 118600) I stumbled upon some font
>>> related questions. Maybe someone on this list can provide
>>> answers.
>>>
>>> 1. The gentium basic fonts are under the SIL Open Font
>>> License.  This looks OK to me but I am not a
>>> lawyer.  Is this a category A, B or X license?
>>>

>> It is inspired on the GPL but it is conceived for fonts.
>> It think we could treat it as weak copyleft. I guess
>> we should ask legal but in any case it would be better
>> to just use the system fonts.
>
> Having at least one common set of fonts across all platforms is an important goal, if we can achieve it.
>
> S.

+1

A great advantage of OOo is the common Look & Feel, not only between the
OOo applications but also on all platforms. And a set of fonts (+ icons)
has helped to build this advantage.

Marcus

Re: Font related questions

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

RE: Apache Licensed Fonts (was Re: Font related questions)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

So long as NOTICE-source is in the SVN and part of the source distribution at
an appropriate level, I think the simple NOTICE[.txt] name is good enough.

But either way the scripting trick is perfect and NOTICE-binary is a great
differentiator.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
--- On Fri, 11/18/11, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM,
> Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org>
> wrote:
> > I welcome anyone who is willing to share the PITA
> burden concerning licensing, IP, terms-of-use, etc.

:).

> > With regard to the NOTICE file.  In a binary release,
> yes.  If the work is being embedded somehow and/or
> installed in some manner, the NOTICE that is included in the
> executable install location should include it.  This
> applies to third-party category A also.  Dependencies on
> the licenses of other are always acknowledged.
> >

> So do we need two versions, one for source releases and
> another for the binary release?

No. Category A applies to both and it doesn't hurt to
mention Category B for source releases too.

I think it would be nice to have sections in the NOTICE
file for both Categories. I can do that.

Pedro.

Re: Apache Licensed Fonts (was Re: Font related questions)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi;

--- On Fri, 11/18/11, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > OFL has two big issues:
> > 1) It's copyleft so we cannot put it in the
> repository.
> > 2) It cannot be redistributed on it's own: it has
> > to be bundled with software, so we cannot make it
> > available as and add-on package by itself.
> >

> I don't see the problem here.  It says, "Neither the
> Font Software nor
> any of its individual components, in Original or Modified
> Versions,
> may be sold by itself."  But we're not selling the
> font in any form, bundled or not.

Still that is a limitation and I am not sure it fits
within ASF policies. The code produced by the ASF can
be resold and users expect to be able to unbundle and
rebundle as they see fit.

> Why can't we just download it as part of the build
> script?  It is not
> in SVN then, and we only include it in the binary release?

I think we can do this, yes.

> This looks acceptable per: (1)
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#no-modification
>
> > The bitstream vera / dejavu fonts are not without
> issues:
> > " ... no copy of one or more of the Font Software
> typefaces
> >  may be sold by itself."
> >

> Again, we are not selling it "by itself".

I think the "no-sell" clause contradicts the
"Software License Criteria".

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> OFL has two big issues:
> 1) It's copyleft so we cannot put it in the repository.
> 2) It cannot be redistributed on it's own: it has
> to be bundled with software, so we cannot make it
> available as and add-on package by itself.

I don't see the problem here.  It says, "Neither the Font Software nor
any of its individual components, in Original or Modified Versions,
may be sold by itself."  But we're not selling the font in any form,
bundled or not.

Why can't we just download it as part of the build script?  It is not
in SVN then, and we only include it in the binary release?

This looks acceptable per:

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi;

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Actually ...

These Droid fonts dont look suitable for a desktop.
They lack many features, for example, there are no
italics :(.

Pedro.

Re: Font related questions

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 14.11.2011 16:45, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- On Mon, 11/14/11, Herbert Duerr<hd...@alice.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I think he fixed the metric files to better work with
>> the Arial Narrow
>>> font.
>>
>> I extended the Liberation Sans font family with Narrow font
>> faces and contributed these changes upstream.
>>
>>> But still, he will be sad, that they have to go.
>>
>> Not only me, but everyone who is using documents with it or
>> its metrically compatible counterpart. These documents or
>> their text boxes tend to overflow and this often looks
>> nasty.
>
> I might've got it wrong, but I understand "liberation"
> fonts are actually replacements for fonts that are already
> installed on Windows. MS-Windows users don't need them

The narrow font faces are not installed with the plain system, they get
usually installed with certain productivity suites.

> and linux/BSD users have them preinstalled.

Yes, we can add them as a dependency or a recommendation.

>> Maybe I should look into basing some new Narrow font faces
>> on a font family that has a license acceptable for bundling
>> them as binaries in an Apache release (e.g. OFL?)
>
> Unfortunately really good fonts are all commercial.

For finding a good looking sans serif font that is usable as a base for
a metrically compatible set of narrow faces there are a couple of good
candidates. E.g. the DejaVu fonts were considered once and IIRC the
metrically compatible narrow font faces based on them looked quite nice.

Herbert

RE: Replacement for Liberation Fonts (was Re: Font related questions)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
For resiliency testing of the font-embedding provisions in ODF, I am going to use the M+ font faces which are under a BSD-equivalent license.

M+ appears to have characters for enough Unicode points for useful testing.  This is not enough variety of font styles for a default set, though.  There are Asian code points and others though.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

--- Ven 30/12/11, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org> ha scritto:

> Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> > Apparently they are improved versions of the
> Liberation
> > fonts, which Redhat had licensed from the same
> designers.
>
> The key feature of Liberation fonts is that they are
> metrically equivalent to the corresponding Microsoft core
> fonts: i.e., any given glyph (character) in Liberation Sans
> size 12 has exactly the same width, height and spacing that
> it has when rendered in Arial size 12, even though the font
> design is different.
>
> This allows to avoid interoperability issues due to the
> different width/height of fonts. If the fonts you propose
> have the same feature, it would definitely be interesting to
> include them in the suite.

Yes, they do. Apparently they are the same fonts but
Google improved them.

There is an interesting comment here:

http://designinstruct.com/articles/resources/font-collections/font-collection-10-free-excellent-monospaced-fonts/

"ummm… Cousine and Liberation Mono are exactly the same? Installed both, alternated back and forth between the fonts in FontBook on OS X, and they are exactly the same font."

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: Replacement for Liberation Fonts (was Re: Font related questions)

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Apparently they are improved versions of the Liberation
> fonts, which Redhat what licensed from the same designers.

The key feature of Liberation fonts is that they are metrically
equivalent to the corresponding Microsoft core fonts: i.e., any given
glyph (character) in Liberation Sans size 12 has exactly the same width,
height and spacing that it has when rendered in Arial size 12, even
though the font design is different.

This allows to avoid interoperability issues due to the different
width/height of fonts. If the fonts you propose have the same feature,
it would definitely be interesting to include them in the suite.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Replacement for Liberation Fonts (was Re: Font related questions)

Re: Font related questions

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

--- On Mon, 11/14/11, Herbert Duerr <hd...@alice.de> wrote:

> > I think he fixed the metric files to better work with
> the Arial Narrow
> > font.
>
> I extended the Liberation Sans font family with Narrow font
> faces and contributed these changes upstream.
>
> > But still, he will be sad, that they have to go.
>
> Not only me, but everyone who is using documents with it or
> its metrically compatible counterpart. These documents or
> their text boxes tend to overflow and this often looks
> nasty.

I might've got it wrong, but I understand "liberation"
fonts are actually replacements for fonts that are already
installed on Windows. MS-Windows users don't need them and
linux/BSD users have them preinstalled.

> Maybe I should look into basing some new Narrow font faces
> on a font family that has a license acceptable for bundling
> them as binaries in an Apache release (e.g. OFL?)

Unfortunately really good fonts are all commercial.

I tend to use the gsfonts package.

These are rather useful for math:
http://www.bluesky.com/help/fonts/techams.html

but I recall the ttf versions of them are also
commercial.

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: Font related questions

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@alice.de>.

Re: Font related questions

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

--- On Mon, 11/14/11, Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de> wrote:

> > I asked for this to be included in the SGA, so it's
> likely
> > to be there.
>
> Yes, it is in, I just checked.  Thank you very much
> for having this included.

Actually, a redhat developer pinpointed the fonts to me :).

Pedro.

Re: Font related questions

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
Hi Pedro,

On 14.11.2011 15:33, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Andre;
>
> --- On Mon, 11/14/11, Andre Fischer<af...@a-w-f.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the process of removing the liberation fonts (they are
>> under GPL license, issue 118600) I stumbled upon some font
>> related questions. Maybe someone on this list can provide
>> answers.
>>
>> 1. The gentium basic fonts are under the SIL Open Font
>> License.  This looks OK to me but I am not a
>> lawyer.  Is this a category A, B or X license?
>>

> It is inspired on the GPL but it is conceived for fonts.
> It think we could treat it as weak copyleft. I guess
> we should ask legal but in any case it would be better
> to just use the system fonts.
>
>> 2. The license of the open symbol font is unclear, it only
>> has a copyright notice (to Oracle).  Issue 89686
>> complains about this.  There are comments about the
>> intention of putting it under LGPL.  But the last
>> comment of the issue is more than three years old and its
>> status is STARTED.  Does anybody know more about this?
>>

> I asked for this to be included in the SGA, so it's likely
> to be there.

Yes, it is in, I just checked.  Thank you very much for having this
included.

>> Additional information:
>>

> I was going to remove them but opengrok noticed they are
> referred to here:
>
> /scp2/source/ooo/file_font_ooo.scp
> /officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/VCL.xcu
>
> so my indelicate axe was not fit for the job ;).

Then it looks like that I have to sharpen mine :)

> (FWIW, I think hdu@ committed the liberation fonts
> originally.)

I think he fixed the metric files to better work with the Arial Narrow
font.  But still, he will be sad, that they have to go.

Regards,
Andre

Re: Font related questions

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 14.11.2011 15:33, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> I was going to remove them but opengrok noticed they are
> referred to here:
>
> /scp2/source/ooo/file_font_ooo.scp

This means they were installed with the product. If you don't want to
bundle the fonts you have to remove or disable these entries.

> /officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/VCL.xcu

The entries for these fonts only matter here if the fonts are available.
If they are not available their entries would be ignored. So there is
nothing to change in this file.

> (FWIW, I think hdu@ committed the liberation fonts
> originally.)

Yup, I had extended the classic Liberation fonts with Liberation Sans
Narrow, because having a metrically compatible font for the popular
target font was an often requested feature.

Herbert

Re: Font related questions

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Andre;