Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Shyam Sarkar <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2009/02/12 23:21:58 UTC

Server time zone !

Is there any 'Server's time zone' implementation inside Hive? For proper implementation of TIMESTAMP data type, this is necessay to translate from stored string type. I am focusing on MySQL 6.0 (with limited properties) for TIMESTAMP.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/en/timestamp.html

Thanks,
Shyam

RE: Server time zone !

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.
You could just use the

java.util.TimeZone

to get the current timezone.

Ashish

Not yet. I think JVM take the environment variable TZ for that purpose for all java-related functions.

In build-common.xml you should find the following:
<env key="TZ" value="US/Pacific"/>

This makes sure all current UDFs related to time/date are using the US/Pacific time zone. (Note: all these UDFs are operating on String and Integer types right now)

Zheng

--
Yours,
Zheng

Re: Server time zone !

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
Yeah that's the eventually goal.

Currently the user has to manually convert the TIMESTAMP to String and
partition on String.
Since we do NOT allow range partitioning, this should provide exactly the
same semantics.
The only thing is that user needs to convert TIMESTAMP to STRING (and back
when needed) by himself for now.

Zheng

--
Yours,