Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jones <al...@googlemail.com> on 2006/03/14 17:42:01 UTC

floating text in multi-column-layout

Hello fop-experts,

I want to create a three-column-layout by using fop 0.20.5. At the bottom of
the first column ought to be a (optional) fixed positioned picture. The
columns are filled with dynamically generated text that should flow around
this image. To make things clearer I attached a picture to this mail.

Is there any way to realize this layout although fop doesn't support the
float-object?

Thank you for your help.
Jones

Re: floating text in multi-column-layout

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hehe, it looks simple to you, but it isn't for a layout engine. Of
course, you can do stuff like counting rows and other ugly stuff like
that but I can't help you here. It depends a lot on your input data and
the requirements. The only thing you can look at for further ideas is
the area tree XML ("-at" from the command-line). Other than that you're
on your own or you have to dive into the FOP code and implement
footnotes that don't span all columns (or you get someone to do that for
you). Maybe someone else has another idea but I don't. Sorry.

On 21.03.2006 03:57:40 Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thank you for your answer and sorry to come up with the same question again.
> I just can't believe there's no solution to realise this layout, because it
> looks fairly simple. Isn't there even any dirty approach to create this
> design using fop? Maybe by using tables, calculating width and height or for
> my sake by counting rows?
>
> I spent all day looking for a solution, but nothing worked....
>
> Cheer,
> Jones
>

> 2006/3/15, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>:
> >
> > If FOP supported footnotes that don't span all columns (like some other
> > FO implementations do as an extension to the spec), then yes. But at the
> > moment, no.
> >
> > On 14.03.2006 17:42:01 Jones wrote:
> > > Hello fop-experts,
> > >
> > > I want to create a three-column-layout by using fop 0.20.5. At the
> > bottom of
> > > the first column ought to be a (optional) fixed positioned picture. The
> > > columns are filled with dynamically generated text that should flow
> > around
> > > this image. To make things clearer I attached a picture to this mail.
> > >
> > > Is there any way to realize this layout although fop doesn't support the
> > > float-object?
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help.
> > > Jones

Jeremias Maerki

Re: floating text in multi-column-layout

Posted by Jones <al...@googlemail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
If FOP supported footnotes that don't span all columns (like some other
FO implementations do as an extension to the spec), then yes. But at the
moment, no.

On 14.03.2006 17:42:01 Jones wrote:
> Hello fop-experts,
>
> I want to create a three-column-layout by using fop 0.20.5. At the bottom of
> the first column ought to be a (optional) fixed positioned picture. The
> columns are filled with dynamically generated text that should flow around
> this image. To make things clearer I attached a picture to this mail.
>
> Is there any way to realize this layout although fop doesn't support the
> float-object?
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Jones

Jeremias Maerki