Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2017/07/05 14:30:00 UTC

Re: cursorMark / Deep Paging and SEO

On 6/30/2017 1:30 AM, Jacques du Rand wrote:
> I'm not quite sure I understand the deep paging / cursorMark internals
>
> We have implemented it on our search pages like so:
>
> http://mysite.com/search?foobar&page=1
> http://mysite.com/search?foobar&page=2&cmark=djkldskljsdsa
> http://mysite.com/search?foobar&page=3&cmark=uoieuwqjdlsa
>
> So if we reindex the data the cursorMark for search "foobar" and page2 will
> the cursorMark value  change ???
>
> But google might have already index our page as  "
> http://mysite.com/search?foobar&page=2&cmark=djkldskljsdsa" so that
> cursorMark will keep changing ??

The cursorMark feature does not use page numbers, so your "page"
parameter won't provide any useful information to Solr.  Presumably
you're using that for your own application.

The string values used in cursorMark have a tendency to lose their
usefulness the more you index after making the query, so they are not
useful to have in Google's index.  The cursorMark value points at a
specific document ... if you index new documents or delete old
documents, that specific document might end up on a completely different
page number than where it was when you initially made the query.

Thanks,
Shawn