Posted to dev@quickstep.apache.org by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io> on 2016/06/02 04:33:42 UTC

Travis limit of 4GB

When working with features that touch our template meta-programming framework, sometimes some of our builds fail. Why? Because Travis has a 4GB memory+swap limit, and when compiling with aggressive vector copy elision, the underlying VM runs of of memory (happens more often with gcc than clang).

I was looking around to see if other projects have hit this problem. I found the following link: https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2904 <https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2904>. At the bottom of the page there are two posts that are interesting. One can shut off pre-started database, or more interestingly we can switch to using the Ubuntu Trusty beta <https://blog.travis-ci.com/2015-10-14-opening-up-ubuntu-trusty-beta/> by adding the following lines to our .travis.yml <https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep/blob/master/.travis.yml> file:
sudo: required
dist: trusty
This gives us a 2 vCPU box with 7.5GB of memory! Thereby giving us a lot more room to push the template framework if needed. Space during compilation is a silly thing to worry about especially if it changes what would have been a good design for a feature. So, its is good to know that we have options if we hit the 4GB limit in Travis.

Cheers,
Jignesh

Re: Travis limit of 4GB

Posted by Hakan Memisoglu <ha...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I tried to switch Ubuntu Trusty in our Travis box while trying to change
GCC version. As far as I remember, the overall build time deteriorated a
lot (since it is a VM instead of a Docker container). However, it is
worth trying it again.