Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by chenchun <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/29 06:55:32 UTC

ambari-log4j shouldn't affect the normal work of JobTracer or Hive

hi,
I'm currently try to use ambari-log4j along to record our hive job workflow data in order to quantify the hive query performance. With the statistics of each job's performance parameters, we can find the bottleneck of the hive query e.g. data skew case and so on. But I find that when I launch a hive client, it will also load the hadoop log4j properties and thus create a ambari-log4j LoggingThread. The problem is when the database which we use to save workflow data is unavailable currently, we can't launch a hive client. I think the ambari-log4j is more like a plugin for hive and hadoop and it shouldn't affect the normal work of JobTracer or Hive. The attachment is a patch for this.
And another question workflowUpdateNumCompletedPS is incompatible with mysql.

--
chenchun

Re: ambari-log4j shouldn't affect the normal work of JobTracer or Hive

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
That sounds like a good improvement.  Thanks for the patch, and for finding
the MySQL incompatibility!  I've opened ticket AMBARI-2757.  Please attach
your patch to that ticket.  I also opened AMBARI-2759 for the MySQL issue.
If there is anything informative in the error message you're seeing with
MySQL, please add it as a comment.

Billie