Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by John Berger <jb...@poss.com> on 1999/04/14 18:12:13 UTC

mod_auth-any/4242: Apache will not find use in existing NDBM file

>Number:         4242
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       Apache will not find use in existing NDBM file
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I am attempting to migrate from Netscape Commerce Server to Apache 1.3.6.  I compiled apache using the following:

LDFLAGS=-lgdbm
LIBS=L/usr/local/lib
INCLUDES=-I/usr/local/include

Apache compiles just fine; however, users in the existing NDBM file are not being found.  If I type dbmmanange [file] view, all of the users and encrypted passwords are listed.  If I attempt to modify or list a SPECIFIC user from that same display, I get a "user not found" error.

When the user attempts to log into Apache, the user is rejected and the following is placed into the error_log:
[Wed Apr 14 11:20:13 1999] [error] [client (IP Address)] DBM user (user ID) not found

If I use dbmmanage to add the user, a duplicate record is created.  The only difference between the records is the password.  Structure and length are identical, yet only the password added by dbmmanage is recognized when logging in.

Keep in mind that GDBM, *not* Berkeley DB, was compiled into Apache.  GDBM is supposed to be compatible with NDBM files.

(By the way, I am using GDBM 1.7.3.)
>How-To-Repeat:
System is not accessible to the public.
>Fix: