Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Larry Glaze <lg...@iddg.com> on 1999/03/19 23:45:31 UTC

os-solaris/4093: The web server stops responding to client requests although it remains running.

>Number:         4093
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       The web server stops responding to client requests although it remains running.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Apache stops responding to client requests. It remains running, however, but
gives absolutely no errors in either its own error_log or in the server syslog.
Apache usually has about 150 processes running when responding properly.
When it stops responding, the number of processes will drop down to 40 or so. My
guess is that apache thinks it is idle now and starts killing off some
of its child processes. This problem existed before we compiled in mod_perl. The
version of mod_perl we are using is 1.18. Everything besides this version of
mod_perl came with the apache source.

I have seen a couple other people mention this bug but haven't seen any responses
about a possible fix. For now I have to run a monitoring script which will restart
apache when it stops responding.

Here is the output of "httpd -v" and "httpd -l":
httpd -v:
Server version: Apache/1.3.4 (Unix)
Server built:   Mar  4 1999 23:02:34

httpd -l: