Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2014/01/20 15:41:20 UTC

Jena & GSoC 2014

The Google Summer of Code cycle is about to begin again:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014

March 10 - student application period starts
March 21 - student application period ends
April 21 - acceptances

If there are any ideas, then we should get them into JITA with tag GSoC.
  Also I wondered about things that would as part fo the project need
investigation, needing a significant proportion of the time on deciding
what to do as well as some amount of doing.

A few ideas that occurred to me, in no particular order, which I'll
think about more to make sure that they are realistic in the time available:

+ Prototype an in-memory parallel dataset implementation.

+ New API(s) -- given Java8, what would a new RDF API look like?

+ Enhance graph capabilities (e.g. shortest path and other graph
algorithms).

+ Binary protocol for SPARQL.

+ Temporary tables in SPARQL - both in one query and also for combining
query and update in one request.

+ Query planning where there are property functions like text:query
involved (see recent users@)

+ A data validation, transformation (and correction!) pipeline.

	Andy

Re: Jena & GSoC 2014

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.

On 20/01/2014 06:41, "Andy Seaborne" <an...@apache.org> wrote:

>The Google Summer of Code cycle is about to begin again:
>
>http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014
>
>March 10 - student application period starts
>March 21 - student application period ends
>April 21 - acceptances
>
>If there are any ideas, then we should get them into JITA with tag GSoC.
>  Also I wondered about things that would as part fo the project need
>investigation, needing a significant proportion of the time on deciding
>what to do as well as some amount of doing.
>
>A few ideas that occurred to me, in no particular order, which I'll
>think about more to make sure that they are realistic in the time
>available:
>
>+ Prototype an in-memory parallel dataset implementation.
>
>+ New API(s) -- given Java8, what would a new RDF API look like?
>
>+ Enhance graph capabilities (e.g. shortest path and other graph
>algorithms).
>
>+ Binary protocol for SPARQL.

Maybe one day YarcData will let me open source the stuff I've done in this
area, taking my prototype and expanding it would make a nice GSoC project.

Rob