Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/07 02:07:22 UTC

[all] Status of components

I made a stab of defining the current status for Commons for the
Jakarta board report:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/JakartaBoardReport-current

Here's the summary. Any thoughts on the ?? marks and the dormancy
candidates? Feel free to add things to the wiki page. I've not added
all of this yet.

Attributes - Needs a new release, after that a dormancy candidate.
BeanUtils - Inactive. 1.8.0 slowly being worked on.
Betwixt - Just released.
Chain - ??
CLI - Inactive. Dormancy candidate?
Codec - Inactive.
Collections - Inactive - new releases discussed but not much movement.
Configuration - Active.
Daemon - ?? Dormancy candidate?
DBCP - 1.2.2 release in the works.
DbUtils - 1.1 release made. No plans for 1.2.
Digester - ??
Discovery - 0.4 release made, nothing new planned. Dormancy candidate.
EL - ?? Dormancy candidate?
Email - Maybe a 1.1 release in the works. Not much activity yet.
FileUpload - 1.2 release in the works.
IO - 1.3 just released.
Jelly - ?? Dormancy candidate?
Jexl - ?? Dormancy candidate?
JXPath - ?? Dormancy candidate?
Lang - 2.3 release in the works.
Launcher - Inactive. Dormancy candidate.
Logging - Needs a 1.1.1 release, no plans beyond that.
Math - Slow activity.
Modeler - Inactive - dormancy?
Net - New JDK 1.5 version in the works.
Pool - New version in the works.
Primitives - Inactive. Dormancy candidate?
SCXML - Active, just released.
Transaction - Release being discussed.
Validator - Active.
VFS - Active and releasing.

Dormant - Nothing likely to leave dormancy.

Sandbox - Nothing that looks like moving to proper anytime soon. Some
for dormancy (finder, id).

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/8/07, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/02/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I made a stab of defining the current status for Commons for the
> > Jakarta board report:
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/JakartaBoardReport-current
> >
> > Here's the summary. Any thoughts on the ?? marks and the dormancy
> > candidates? Feel free to add things to the wiki page. I've not added
> > all of this yet.
> >
> > Attributes - Needs a new release, after that a dormancy candidate.
> > BeanUtils - Inactive. 1.8.0 slowly being worked on.
> > Betwixt - Just released.
> > Chain - ??
> > CLI - Inactive. Dormancy candidate?
>
> JMeter is currently using the same code as the Avalon CLI - which is
> mixed up in the rest of CLI2.  There have been no reported problems
> for the CLI in JMeter for a long time now.
>
> It is not the same animal as CLI and CLI2, so perhaps it should be
> moved somewhere else? Can it be made a separate mini project in
> Commons?
>
> Seems a shame that the only use of the code is in JMeter at present.
>
> Once it has been released, it can remain happily in maintenance mode...
>
> I'm happy to do the work.

Split off from CLI2 a while ago :)

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/branches/avalon-implementation/

> > Jexl - ?? Dormancy candidate?
>
> We're using it in JMeter.

I think a lot of people are. Maybe we need a better name than
Dormancy, it seems to imply dead to people when in fact the idea is
that things wake up from dormancy if someone wants to be active on it.

Hen

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 07/02/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I made a stab of defining the current status for Commons for the
> Jakarta board report:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/JakartaBoardReport-current
>
> Here's the summary. Any thoughts on the ?? marks and the dormancy
> candidates? Feel free to add things to the wiki page. I've not added
> all of this yet.
>
> Attributes - Needs a new release, after that a dormancy candidate.
> BeanUtils - Inactive. 1.8.0 slowly being worked on.
> Betwixt - Just released.
> Chain - ??
> CLI - Inactive. Dormancy candidate?

JMeter is currently using the same code as the Avalon CLI - which is
mixed up in the rest of CLI2.  There have been no reported problems
for the CLI in JMeter for a long time now.

It is not the same animal as CLI and CLI2, so perhaps it should be
moved somewhere else? Can it be made a separate mini project in
Commons?

Seems a shame that the only use of the code is in JMeter at present.

Once it has been released, it can remain happily in maintenance mode...

I'm happy to do the work.

> Codec - Inactive.
> Collections - Inactive - new releases discussed but not much movement.
> Configuration - Active.
> Daemon - ?? Dormancy candidate?
> DBCP - 1.2.2 release in the works.
> DbUtils - 1.1 release made. No plans for 1.2.
> Digester - ??
> Discovery - 0.4 release made, nothing new planned. Dormancy candidate.
> EL - ?? Dormancy candidate?
> Email - Maybe a 1.1 release in the works. Not much activity yet.
> FileUpload - 1.2 release in the works.
> IO - 1.3 just released.
> Jelly - ?? Dormancy candidate?
> Jexl - ?? Dormancy candidate?

We're using it in JMeter.

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/6/07, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Couple of thoughts intermixed.  A key one is whether "inactive" and "heading
> for dormancy" should mean the same thing.  A stable library used by other
> projects, with no significant bugs, seems to fit the former descriptor,
> while a project nobody uses or cares about would certainly fit the latter.
> That kind of distinction is not clear in your first crack at ranking these
> things.

Definitely different things. Inactive means there's not much work
going on it, it's the opposite of active. It's a symptom.

Dormancy is a plan. Maintenance would be another. Release planned
would be another. I think the key difference between dormancy and
maintenance is that in the latter case there is someone who is
monitoring it. DbUtils is definitely in Maintenance - I've no plans to
work on a new release and don't know of anyone who is, but if the
issues show up then I'll be aiming to get involved and get a release
out.

> On 2/6/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The specific EL version this implemented was before the separation of the
> JSP 2.1 / JSF 1.2 expression language APIs into their own spec.  Ideally,
> this library would become an implementation of that API ... otherwise
> dormancy seems reasonable.

I don't think Tomcat uses it anymore, so I think it's dormant time.

> > Jelly - ?? Dormancy candidate?
>

> Maven1 users don't count as a pretty large audience?

I sometimes suspect we are the major Maven1 users :)

> > Modeler - Inactive - dormancy?
>
> Better ask the Tomcat folks, since they use (used?) it.

Daemon too. Dims did a release of Modeler recently, so someone else uses it too.

Hen

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/07, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > with?

> > > of an
> > > tier,
> > >
> > > I went "looking for el" today - had to first work out what spec
> > > versions were related.
> > >
> > > So Commons EL is used in Tomcat 5.x which is Servlet 2.4 / JSP 2.0.
> > > The independant EL Craig's talking about relates to Servlet 2.5 / JSP
> > > 2.1 and will feature in Tomcat 6 (currently beta).
> > >
> > > Unfortunately it seems that the Tomcat project has developed the
> > > independant EL for Tomcat 6 "in house" as part of their project -
> > > rather than building a new version of Commons EL here. This seems a
> > > shame - both from a Commons EL PoV since its now a legacy/dormant
> > > component and for the type of thing Craig is suggesting - using EL
> > > independantly of a servlet environment.
> > >
> > > I wonder if we could entice the Tomcat folks to do the development of
> > > EL here rather than in their repo - if they haven't already got commit
> > > access here (which I'm sure at least some have) - I'd be happy for
> > > them to have it. Anyone else think this has merit or should we just
> > > let EL lapse?
> >

> > I think it would indeed be useful ... but as usual in life there will be
> > complications.
> >
> > The EL spec itself defines basic APIs like ELContext and ELResolver, plus
> > some factory and configuration methods to glue them together and get
> > instances.  On top of that, JSF and JSP provide a whole pile of resolvers
> > that provide the default functionality you need in that environment (for
> > example, the gadget that makes managed bean creation happen) on top of it.
> > From the viewpoint of the Tomcat folks, this might indeed be reasonable to
> > keep in their own repository ... while perhaps moving the generic part here.
>
> I posted a message to the Tomcat Dev list[1] about this - so have to
> see what (if any) interest there is from their side.
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/2hozrg

Just as a follow up to this - Tomcat is now publishing the EL jars in
the main maven repo -  from my PoV the main thing is having access to
an ASF compatible EL implementation and the location isn't that
relevant.

Niall

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/7/07, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rather than inactive or dormant I think a label like "maintenance
> mode" is better for something like this - someone prepared to maintain
> it (e.g. me) but no ongoing development, inactive/dormant implies
> abandonned in my mind.

Should have said this rather than my reply to Craig - +1 to this definition :)

Hen

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 2/7/07, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Couple of thoughts intermixed.  A key one is whether "inactive" and "heading
> for dormancy" should mean the same thing.  A stable library used by other
> projects, with no significant bugs, seems to fit the former descriptor,
> while a project nobody uses or cares about would certainly fit the latter.
> That kind of distinction is not clear in your first crack at ranking these
> things.
>
> On 2/6/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I made a stab of defining the current status for Commons for the
> > Jakarta board report:
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/JakartaBoardReport-current
> >
> > Here's the summary. Any thoughts on the ?? marks and the dormancy
> > candidates? Feel free to add things to the wiki page. I've not added
> > all of this yet.
> >
> > Attributes - Needs a new release, after that a dormancy candidate.
> > BeanUtils - Inactive. 1.8.0 slowly being worked on.
> > Betwixt - Just released.
> > Chain - ??
>
> Inactive but stable.  Used by a few projects (including Shale) and
> libraries, but not widespread.  Limited in scope due to awkard support for
> conditional processing, so not likely to be aggressively enhanced (at least
> by me ... others may disagree :-).

+1 - from memory could do with a release just to improve the pom
(provided scope) and make life easier for m2 users - also I think
theres a couple of tickets I didn't have time to look at (catalog
support on features I don't use) for the last release. I'll probably
look at doing this once another component(s) has taken the m2 plunge
with a release.

Rather than inactive or dormant I think a label like "maintenance
mode" is better for something like this - someone prepared to maintain
it (e.g. me) but no ongoing development, inactive/dormant implies
abandonned in my mind.

> CLI - Inactive. Dormancy candidate?
> > Codec - Inactive.
> > Collections - Inactive - new releases discussed but not much movement.

Some work started on a JDK 1.5 version in the sandbox a few months back.

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> IO - 1.3 just released.
> Jelly - ?? Dormancy candidate?

Maven1 users don't count as a pretty large audience?

Jexl - ?? Dormancy candidate?
> JXPath - ?? Dormancy candidate?
> Lang - 2.3 release in the works.
> Launcher - Inactive. Dormancy candidate.
> Logging - Needs a 1.1.1 release, no plans beyond that.
> Math - Slow activity.
> Modeler - Inactive - dormancy?

Better ask the Tomcat folks, since they use (used?) it.

Net - New JDK 1.5 version in the works.
> Pool - New version in the works.
> Primitives - Inactive. Dormancy candidate?
> SCXML - Active, just released.
> Transaction - Release being discussed.
> Validator - Active.
> VFS - Active and releasing.
>
> Dormant - Nothing likely to leave dormancy.
>
> Sandbox - Nothing that looks like moving to proper anytime soon. Some

Craig

Re: [jxpath] was: [all] Status of components

Posted by Dmitri Plotnikov <dm...@apache.org>.
Matt,

I fully agree.

As you can see from the thread on JXPATH-61, the discussion was quite
heated, so in the end I decided to just let it simmer and neither release
nor revert the changes for a while.  It's years and no new arguments have
been added to the discussion. The prevailing opinion appears to be to keep
things as they were in 1.2.  Thus we should revert the changes (which are
not too extensive anyway).

Thank you,

- Dmitri

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
If you could add that to the board report, me will be very happy ;)

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [all] Status of components

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.