Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net> on 2005/10/02 06:57:01 UTC

[SARE] rules file updates

Just quick notice that the SARE OBFU rules (70_sare_obfu*.cf) have
been updated.

Of note:  One rule which has been incorporated into SpamAssassin 3.1.0
has been moved to the new 70_sare_obfu_x31.cf file.  Systems that are
remaining on 3.0.x or earlier should obtain this file.  No need for
RDJ on this file, since it won't be changing.

Information about these rules files can be found at
http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules.htm#obfu

Also, there will be an update to 70_sare_specific.cf in the next
couple of hours.  Information can be found at
http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules.htm#specific
If you use this file and don't have RDJ active, you'll want to pull a
new copy in a few hours.

Bob Menschel

Re: [SARE] rules file updates

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> >>Whitelist appears to be a newer file regardless of what the headers
> >>say. It includes more sites in its whitelist. It appears whitelist_rcvd
> >>is obsolete. It's not mentioned on the SARE Rules page.
> >
> > These were announced on the list about a week ago.
Whitelist_from_rcvd.cf
> > is NEW file.
>
> Great. Shouldn't the old one be removed?

No.  Whitelist_from_rcvd is 3.10 ONLY.  It tightens up some of the whitelist
rules by using syntax (or maybe a plugin, I forget) that is only avaiable in
3.1.  As best I recall, mist of the normal whitelist is still applicable to
3.1 systems, and is the only one useable on 3.0.x and previous.

        Loren

Re: [SARE] rules file updates

Posted by Cami <ca...@mweb.co.za>.
Loren Wilton wrote:

>>>Can someone mention whats the difference between:
>>>http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_whitelist.cf
>>>and
>>>http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_whitelist_rcvd.cf
>>
>>Whitelist appears to be a newer file regardless of what the headers
>>say. It includes more sites in its whitelist. It appears whitelist_rcvd
>>is obsolete. It's not mentioned on the SARE Rules page.
>
> These were announced on the list about a week ago.  Whitelist_from_rcvd.cf
> is NEW file.

Great. Shouldn't the old one be removed?

Cami

Re: [SARE] rules file updates

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Loren Wilton" <lw...@earthlink.net>

>> > Can someone mention whats the difference between:
>> > http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_whitelist.cf
>> > and
>> > http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_whitelist_rcvd.cf
>>
>> Whitelist appears to be a newer file regardless of what the headers
>> say. It includes more sites in its whitelist. It appears whitelist_rcvd
>> is obsolete. It's not mentioned on the SARE Rules page.
>
> These were announced on the list about a week ago.  Whitelist_from_rcvd.cf
> is NEW file.

I see it in the fine print. (That Rules page is getting hard to read.)

===8<---
70_sare_whitelist.cf and derivatives
              mailing lists that are controlled/monitored to be free
              of spam, but might occasioanlly be flagged as spam by
              SpamAssassin because of "spammy" contents.
Created by:  Bob Menschel, RMsa@menschel.net
License Type:  Artistic/GPL dual
Last update:  2005-09-24
Version:  01.00.06
Auto-update:  Yes
RDJ usage:  add "SARE_WHITELIST", "SARE_WHITELIST_SPF",
            "SARE_WHITELIST_RCVD", or "SARE_WHITELIST_PRE30"
            to TRUSTED_RULESETS (more info).
Available at:  http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_whitelist.cf.
                This file is suitable for use by SpamAssassin version
                3.0.x, or 3.1.0 or higher without network tests.

               http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_whitelist_rcvd.cf
               and
               http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_whitelist_spf.cf.
                These two files (new with version 01.00.06) are intended
                for SpamAssassin version 3.1.0 or higher, with network and
                SPF tests enabled. Any whitelist which can be validated
                using SPF will be found in whitelist_spf.cf, and the
                remainder are in whitelist_rcvd.cf.

              Systems older than 3.1.0 and systems without network tests or
              without SPF modules cannot use whitelist_spf.cf, and
              therefore should use the primary file above.

              http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_whitelist_pre30.cf.
               The primary file (listed first above) includes in-line
               commenting which is valid in SpamAssassin 3.0.0 and newer,
               but wasn't valid in versions 2.5x or 2.6x. Systems with
               versions of SpamAssassin older than 3.0.0 should instead
               use this version of the file, which has those comment
               lines removed.

Note:  Please read the internal documentation. Note that since this
       file contains whitelist_from_rcvd directives, and not regex-based
       rules, this file or extracts from it could be used within an
       individual's user_prefs file. Please send recommendations or
       complaints to Bob Menschel, RMsa@menschel.net
Sample Results:  Not available (have not been able to figure out how to
                 mass-check whitelist rules).

===8<---

{^_^}

Re: [SARE] rules file updates