Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Chris Gray <ch...@kiffer.be> on 2006/09/27 11:09:15 UTC

Wonka, Mika, and Apache

Hello guys,

To introduce myself: I'm one of the original developers of the Wonka embedded
VM, and my company sells both support for Wonka and our own derivative which
we call Mika. Recently we made Mika available under the same BSD-style
licence as Wonka.

My question is whether Apache would be interested in adopting Wonka/Mika as a
project, either within Harmony or as an embedded counterpart thereto.
Currently ownership of the code is divided between Punch Telematix, who
acquired the assets of my former employer Acunia, and my own company. Punch
have no interest in the VM beyond the fact that it is an essential component
of a product (the CarCube) which they inherited from Acunia. I believe they
would have no objection to granting rights to the AF, beyond the sheer effort
of doing so. They can probably be persuaded, but first I'd like to know if
there is sufficient interest within the AF.

Best regards,

Chris

Re: Wonka, Mika, and Apache

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
There certainly is interest in Apache Harmony, as this is very much
aligned to what we've already been doing for the past year and a few
months.

geir

Re: Wonka, Mika, and Apache

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
great interest Chris -- let's get the wheels moving.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: Wonka, Mika, and Apache

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

RE: Wonka, Mika, and Apache

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Sounds interesting.

Does this still include the hardware portability layer?  Any synergies with
APR?  Does it include the AWT code?

	--- Noel

RE: Wonka, Mika, and Apache

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.