Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by fastbob <fa...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/13 03:41:23 UTC

Re: [Solved] Dynamic panelGrid within dataTable

Simon,
Thanks for your quick response. Obviously I don't understand the rendering
model sufficiently. This helps.

Yes, what I'm attempting does imply a tight coupling between the
presentation and backing bean, but in this case the backing bean is actually
used just for presentation and delegates to a more general backing bean. So
I can live with this instance.

Is there a preferred JSF pattern for communicating user selection of a
dataTable row back to the server? I've found a number of somewhat crufty
methods (such as on BalusC), but unless I've missed something, none seem
particularly attractive other than f:attribute. But perhaps that's just the
nature of the beast. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

fastbob

Re: [Solved] Dynamic panelGrid within dataTable

Posted by fastbob <fa...@gmail.com>.
Simon,
Sorry for creating confusion. When I'm saying "dynamic generation,"
specifically I'm generating a panelGrid.

To expand on your latest example, imagine that for different types of people
(teacher, CEO, banker) you have to display different details for searching,
e.g., grade level drop-down for teachers, a check box if the CEO manages a
multi-national company, etc. You also don't know in advance the exact number
and format of the parameters, since these are retrieved from an external XML
description. And to be complete, these generated fields are displayed via
detailToggler when the user clicks on a person.

So your example becomes something like:

<t:dataTable var="currPersonHandler" ....>
   <t:panelGrid binding="#{something_other_than_currPersonHandler}"/>

It would be great if panelGrid accepted a value attribute, but apparently it
doesn't.

I'm open to suggestions, up to suggesting I'm crazy to even consider this
(that's already an established fact).

fastbob

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@rhe.co.nz>.
Hi,