Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by "swhupp@frontier.com" <sw...@frontier.com> on 2014/01/07 18:39:51 UTC

Check my work?

I have finished the View and Print sections of the Options page in the User Guide.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Options/AOO

Would someone have a look at this and tell me if I am on the right track? I used the old User Guide as a starting point, but added more detail without (I hope) copying the original. My goal was to say something about every control, without turning it into a tutorial.

The sections from Fonts to Accessibility are blank on that page, so I am going to just keep filling it in. Is there anywhere I should be recording my progress?

Would also appreciate some direction on what level the headings should be. I am going to look at some of the other sections to get some idea, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Steven Hupp

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Re: Check my work?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/14/2014 02:32 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Thank you very much for your permission to use these documents. I have
> downloaded the 2 you gave links for and will take a look at them. If
> you could send me CG-CalcMacros.odt offline at knmc@apache.org it
> would be greatly appreciated. Regards Keith

Done, You should now have a copy.

Andrew

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

> <snip>

> Andrew;
>
> If you can point me to the original sources for these I will gladly
> go through and format them for the wiki. I will happily give credit
> for the material as well within the final docs. Just to cover all
> the bases should there be some formal notice from you that you
> have released these works under ALv2 license to be used in this
> effort?
>
>> I have said that you can take the work, so just do it and add my
>> name in the author list. Your derived work will be ALv2. Oh, and
>> drop me a line so that I know what went where, at least
>> initially. I can't even begin to track what went where from the
>> originals at this point. If you are unclear, feel free to ask
>> about specific items, but, for the most part, I am interested
>> that material be made highly available.
>
>> There are multiple translations of much of the work already, but
>> the translations will also need approval from the translators
>> based on what ever license they added.
>
>> The getting started guide has a section on Macros that came from
>> the first chapter of OOME. In the latest version, that is now
>> chapter 2.
>
>> http://www.pitonyak.org/OOME_3_0.odt
>
>> This document made it into the Calc document
>
>> http://www.pitonyak.org/database/Calc_As_A_Simple_Database.odt
>
>> I think that there is another Calc document that I wrote,
>
>> I am the original author for the Calc Macros section of the
>> document. I have a copy of that chapter labeled
>> (CG-CalcMacros.odt) from 2007 for which I am the sole author. I
>> can send you a copy of that document off list if you desire.
>> Anything newer than that in my possession, and anything on the
>> ODF Authors site, probably has other contributors, which would
>> mean you would require their approval for the other license.
>
>> You are free to pull content from the documents for which I am
>> listed as the author on my site as long as you tell me that you
>> did so.
>

> Just as an aside I would like to see you involved in the writing
> effort. I know you have expressed some concerns around the wiki
> being to easily editable by anyone thus taking the document in an
> entirely different direction that what you had planned. I hope that
> as a group we could work out some policies and procedures that
> would ease those concerns enough for you to participate.
>
> Regards Keith

Andrew;

Thank you very much for your permission to use these documents. I have
downloaded the 2 you gave links for and will take a look at them. If
you could send me CG-CalcMacros.odt offline at knmc@apache.org it
would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Keith

For additional commands, e-mail:

Re: Check my work?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/10/2014 12:04 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:

> Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
>> On 01/07/2014 01:25 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>>>
> <snip>
>
>> The getting started guide has a section on Macros. The Calc guide
>> has a section on Calc as a simple database.
>>
>> Both of these documents started as documents I created outside of
>> ODF Authors. The ODF Authors version may not be direct content
>> usable, but my original documents are. Just something to keep in
>> mind. They would need to be reformatted to what ever standards are
>> used in the AOO documents, however.
>>
> Andrew;
>
> If you can point me to the original sources for these I will gladly go
> through and format them for the wiki. I will happily give credit for
> the material as well within the final docs. Just to cover all the
> bases should there be some formal notice from you that you have
> released these works under ALv2 license to be used in this effort?

I have said that you can take the work, so just do it and add my name in
the author list. Your derived work will be ALv2. Oh, and drop me a line
so that I know what went where, at least initially. I can't even begin
to track what went where from the originals at this point. If you are
unclear, feel free to ask about specific items, but, for the most part,
I am interested that material be made highly available.

There are multiple translations of much of the work already, but the
translations will also need approval from the translators based on what
ever license they added.

The getting started guide has a section on Macros that came from the
first chapter of OOME. In the latest version, that is now chapter 2.

http://www.pitonyak.org/OOME_3_0.odt

This document made it into the Calc document

http://www.pitonyak.org/database/Calc_As_A_Simple_Database.odt

I think that there is another Calc document that I wrote,

I am the original author for the Calc Macros section of the document. I
have a copy of that chapter labeled (CG-CalcMacros.odt) from 2007 for
which I am the sole author. I can send you a copy of that document off
list if you desire. Anything newer than that in my possession, and
anything on the ODF Authors site, probably has other contributors, which
would mean you would require their approval for the other license.

You are free to pull content from the documents for which I am listed as
the author on my site as long as you tell me that you did so.

> Just as an aside I would like to see you involved in the writing
> effort. I know you have expressed some concerns around the wiki being
> to easily editable by anyone thus taking the document in an entirely
> different direction that what you had planned. I hope that as a group
> we could work out some policies and procedures that would ease those
> concerns enough for you to participate.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> I forgot to respond to the other half of your message.... I am
> distracted and have been wasting time removing spammers from
> OOoForum and handling direct user admin questions.... Oh, any my
> little girls are distracting me :-)

I understand the problems all to well. Trying to keep ahad of spammers
on the forums should probably be a full time job! I remember the
little girl distracting me well. enjoy the distractions now, all to
soon they grow up.

> On 01/10/2014 12:04 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> Just as an aside I would like to see you involved in the writing
>> effort.
>
> It is primarily a question of available time. You know, finishing
> that new mahogany computer desk that I built, it takes me a long
> time to cut dovetails by hand, installing shelving in the garage,
> trying to write my own software to track a few of my things --- for
> example:
>
> https://github.com/pitonyak/ADPStampInventory
> https://github.com/pitonyak/LinkBackADP
>
> a list of changes I would like to make to OOME, and trying to spend
> time with the family.
>
> You know what I mean.

Yes I do know what you mean. I have tried to cut dovetails by hand and
many of the other things incolved in home maintenance. As far as
family they are more important than anything else.

>> I know you have expressed some concerns around the wiki being to
>> easily editable by anyone thus taking the document in an
>> entirely different direction that what you had planned. I hope
>> that as a group we could work out some policies and procedures
>> that would ease those concerns enough for you to participate.
>
> I don't care if it is easily editable by anyone, that seems like a
> good thing. I just don't like editing WIKIs.

That was based on my reading of a post to the group when it was first
getting started. If I misread it I certainly apologize. I understand
not liking to edit wiki's; I am not sure it is my favorite thing either.

Again thank you for your permission to re-use our original content and
best of luck keeping up with the little girls.

Regards
Keith

Re: Check my work?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "swhupp@frontier.com" <sw...@frontier.com>.
"I hope that as a group we could work out some policies and procedures that would ease those
concerns enough for you to participate."

Speaking as a doc volunteer, this would be wonderful, as would a style guide.

Steven Hupp

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Re: Check my work?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "swhupp@frontier.com" <sw...@frontier.com>.
Keith,

Thank you! Your comments are clear and very helpful.

Somewhere along the line I had gotten the message about not copying, but I didn't know why. Now I do.

Thanks again.

Steven Hupp

Re: Check my work?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.