Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ray Cheuk <ha...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/20 09:43:14 UTC

TrueType Font without Embedding

Hi, I am working on PDF outputs with TrueType fonts.  As the outputs are intended to be use on clients that have the font installed, I don't want to use the embed method. I've tried removing the "embed-file" attribute in the user config file.  However, this makes all the TrueType characters in my sample become #s. The "Document Fonts" of the PDF generated is not the specified TrueType font but the TimesNewRomanPSMT Type 1 font. If I put back the embed-file attribute, the output is correct but embedding is not what I want. Is there any workaround? I am working on Solaris8, jdk1.3., fop-0.20.4 Have a nice day!Ray

Re: TrueType Font without Embedding

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Ray Cheuk wrote:
> I am working on PDF outputs with TrueType fonts.  As the outputs are
> intended to be use on clients that have the font installed, I don't want
> to use the embed method.

This doesn't work for a variety of reasons. Even if the small
bug preventing this immediately is fixed, there are still
problems with the data quality in the fonts. I also wasn't
able to get Acrobat Reader 4.0 to use local fonts at all, it
seems this was introduced wit 4.05 only.

You'll have to bite the bullet and use embedded fonts, at
least until the font data generation is much improved.
If you have knowledge about the TTF format you are welcome
to support the FOP team.

J.Pietschmann