Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dominique Bejean <do...@eolya.fr> on 2015/01/06 10:29:19 UTC

Solr startup script in version 4.10.3

Hi,

In release 4.10.3, the following lines were removed from solr starting
script (bin/solr)

# TODO: see SOLR-3619, need to support server or example
# depending on the version of Solr
if [ -e "$SOLR_TIP/server/start.jar" ]; then
  DEFAULT_SERVER_DIR=$SOLR_TIP/server
else
  DEFAULT_SERVER_DIR=$SOLR_TIP/example
fi

However, the usage message always say

"  -d <dir>      Specify the Solr server directory; defaults to server"

Either the usage have to be fixed or the removed lines put back to the
script.

Personally, I like the default to server directory.

My installation process in order to have a clean empty solr instance is to
copy examples into server and remove directories like example-DIH,
example-shemaless, multicore and solr/collection1

Solr server (or node) can be started without the -d parameter.

If this makes sense, a Jira issue could be open.

Dominique
http://www.eolya.fr/

Re: Solr startup script in version 4.10.3

Posted by Dominique Bejean <do...@eolya.fr>.
Thank you for your responses.

However, according to my tests, solr 4.10.3 doesn’t use server by default
anymore due to the removal of these lines in the bin/solr script.

# TODO: see SOLR-3619, need to support server or example
# depending on the version of Solr
if [ -e "$SOLR_TIP/server/start.jar" ]; then
   DEFAULT_SERVER_DIR=$SOLR_TIP/server
else
   DEFAULT_SERVER_DIR=$SOLR_TIP/example
fi

Solr 5.0.0 does in both standalone and solrcloud modes ! This is great !

Dominique
http://www.eolya.fr/

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

--
Anshum Gupta
http://about.me/anshumgupta

Re: Solr startup script in version 4.10.3

Posted by "Ramkumar R. Aiyengar" <an...@gmail.com>.
Versions 4.10.3 and beyond already use server rather than example, which
still finds a reference in the script purely for back compat. A major
release 5.0 is coming soon, perhaps the back compat can be removed for that.