Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Ashutosh Arora <ar...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/11/07 23:20:08 UTC

Apache SOAP and request only Web Services.

Hi,

Is it possible to invoke request only Web Services using Apache SOAP? I
want to use SOAP/HTTP to invoke a request only Web SErvice. Is there any
way I can leverage Apache SOAP to do that? Is there any sample code that I
can refer to?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Ashutosh

Re: Apache SOAP and request only Web Services.

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Apache SOAP does not currently implement something equivalent the
one-way ports specified in WSDL
(http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl.html#_one-way).  I am not certain what
specification says how to implement this on HTTP.  Microsoft has the
server respond with an empty (no entity) HTTP response with some magic
status like "216 Received" after the SOAP request is validated, but
before the service is actually executed.  I would like to have this in
Apache SOAP, but have not yet had time to add it.

The current Apache SOAP code (1) always executes the service before
transmitting an HTTP response and (2) always transmits a SOAP envelope
as the HTTP entity.  The closest thing to one-way operations is any
service with a void return type.

Scott Nichol