Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com> on 2023/03/13 16:10:25 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Hey,
I have planned a chat on that topic on Thursday. I am happy to jump into
the topic and together we may be able to reactivate the project.

Cheers,
Mirko

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> schrieb am Mo., 13. März 2023,
15:46:

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

since yesterday I have access to edit the Wiki Page. Thanks to Lars for
your support. The report will be added this Weekend.
I look forward to another spring for this project.
Currently I write a proposal for next steps in Q2 and Q3 to reanimate the
project.
I will share this end of next week.
This is my quick pre-easter-break update.
Please give us some more time for the onboarding of new ideas and new
contributors.

Happy easter!

Cheers,
Mirko

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> schrieb am Fr., 7. Apr. 2023,
09:32:

Von: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
Datum: Mittwoch, 22. März 2023 um 07:59
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>
Betreff: AW: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Von: Shane Curcuru <cu...@apache.org>
Datum: Dienstag, 21. März 2023 um 11:31
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Shane,

Von: Shane Curcuru <cu...@apache.org>
Datum: Dienstag, 21. März 2023 um 11:31
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>

Posted by Shane Curcuru <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.
Hello!

I think the idea of the Training project is *sound*, and the reusable
slide deck resources are pretty good... but I've had some trouble
getting my own concrete contributions in order.

My (shared) presentation at ApacheCon in New Orleans last year[1] was
done with the Apache Training base deck, but getting it in shape for
contribution to the repo keeps getting pushed down my to do list.
It's kind of a vicious cycle, because it doesn't get any easier as
time goes on.

It seems that we didn't capture the attention of our target audience
of "course instructors of Apache projects".  Mirko, I'd be interested
to hear if you come up with some ideas for reviving some of the
enthusiasm around the project, and probably more motivated to finish
my bit of work!

In the case where the project is retired, I'd love to see a good home
to maintain the reusable slide module (even if its outside the ASF).

All my best, Ryan

[1]: https://slides.skraba.com/dive-into-avro/index_en.html