Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Oxley <to...@hotmail.com> on 2001/07/26 20:47:52 UTC

Re: Different approach to TC as a service (was: Separating Service code from Tom

>BTW, jk already has the feature if JNI connector is used - but it would be
>great to be able to do the same for ajp connectors. Probably using the
>same config file ( most of the information to start tomcat is similar -
>the jni configuration file allows you to specify env variables,
>classpaths, etc ).
>
>One question - is anyone using the jk_service ( the NT service starter
>that is included with tomcat3.x ) ?

Our company has many different customers that we recommend to use Tomcat
(some go with others, mainly WebSphere. But its 80:20 to Tomcat :). We use
the jk_nt_service.exe all the time. We also use the JNI connector when using
IIS because when rebooting it mainly didn't work as a service because Tomcat
started before IIS. Plus its easy and very fast for our sales team to use on
laptops. We don't use ajp12 anymore. It is a pain in the arse to have to
start TC and Webserver in the correct order, especially as its a different
order on Windows with IIS than on Unix with Apache!!!

With TC4 we could do with a JNI connector in mod_webapp (even though Pier
probably doesn't want to do this). We will use mod_webapp in preference to
mod_jk for simplicity of setting up.

Hope this info is useful.

Dave
Dave@Staffplanner.co.uk

Re: Different approach to TC as a service (was: Separating Service code from Tom

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Dave Oxley wrote:

> With TC4 we could do with a JNI connector in mod_webapp (even though Pier
> probably doesn't want to do this). We will use mod_webapp in preference to
> mod_jk for simplicity of setting up.

Can you explain this - are you talking about building the module, or about
configuration ?

And what "style" of config are you using - static files served by the
real server, or "everything goes to tomcat" ? For the second case the
configuration is almost identical with webapp ( except you need to deal
with workers.properties - but that's because jk supports lb and
protocols).

I'm not sure I understand how jk is "more difficult" to set up - it's
just a:
"JkMount /context ajp13"
( and not even that - the file is generated automatically so you don't
have to type anything after the initial setup ).

For advanced configuration I know it's difficult to do the mapping, but
that's a feature not present in webapp, so it doesn't apply ( I admit, I
spend a lot of time whenever I want apache to do the authentication or
things like that, and making static files to stay on apache is quite
difficult and can't be easily automated )

Costin

Re: Different approach to TC as a service (was: Separating Service code from Tom

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Dave Oxley at tomcat_dev@hotmail.com wrote:

> With TC4 we could do with a JNI connector in mod_webapp (even though Pier
> probably doesn't want to do this).

Actually, Pier is already writing that piece of thing... :) I got distracted
because the only safe multithreaded environment I have was my Win32 box, but
it's going...

It's just a matter of integrating the jakarta-tomcat-service, tomcat 4.0 and
mod_webapp all toghether....

My (kinda of a) plan is to build the service code in 2 parts: one is the VM
within mod_webapp, and in the JNI provider for mod_webapp...

The other part would be to write a couple of main()s for the service
library, for Win32, for Unix, Beos and so on... to allow stand alone
invocation...

> We will use mod_webapp in preference to mod_jk for simplicity of setting up.

:) Pleased you like that...

> Hope this info is useful.

Definitely...

    Pier