Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/08 08:58:24 UTC

Tests for Original API

I've created a new Jira item
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-153) for testing the old
API. I've also committed an initial set of tests. As we move towards
our first release, we have to make sure that the core functionality is
stable.  We've never really tested  possible inputs (puncution,
numbers, etc) for actions, tracks, etc and I'm now using the old API
to do this. This will also assure that "legacy" apps that use this API
wouldn't be broken by code changes.

D.

Re: Tests for Original API

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
That's fair enough. One interesting thing to note about APIs though,
is that in some sense any change to them is a bug. So even if we fix a
deeper bug within ESME, which causes the API to start behaving
"correctly", it still has significant potential to break clients that
have come to depend on the incorrect behavior.

This is not to say that we should not fix issues. In fact, often times
it makes very good sense to break clients. Often the clients should
have been designed more robustly, only used documented interfaces, or
maybe it is just worth it to break even good clients for some
improvements.

Just something to keep in mind.

Ethan

Re: Tests for Original API