Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by hm...@tsmc.com on 2011/07/19 02:21:26 UTC

HBase reading performance

Hi there,
HBase read performance works fine in most of the time,
but it took a very long time (over 500 seconds) yesterday while scan a few
records(it takes 2 seconds while HBase is normal)
I don't know how to do at that time; it lasted about 1 hour long, HBase
return to normal status.
So, my question is that any log or tool I can use it to know what's wrong
with HBase at that time.
I am afraid that compaction would do that great impact on read/write
performance. If so, any tunning I can do.
thank you.

Our cluster with 20 machines
Hadoop             20 machines
Zookeeper          3
RegionServer   10
Hadoop version hadoop-0.20.2-cdh3u0
HBase version   hbase-0.90.1-cdh3u0

Fleming Chiu(邱宏明)
Ext: 707-2260
Be Veg, Go Green, Save the Planet!
                                                         TSMC PROPERTY
 for the sole use of its
 other than the intended
 please notify the sender by
 immediately. Thank you.

RE: HBase reading performance

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Are you doing scans or are you doing get() with a known key?

There's a big difference and scans are very expensive.

You also don't talk about your hardware. How much memory, how many cores per node, how you have your m/r configured (even if you're not running a m/r job, you still have to account for it.)

There are so many things to look at....

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
By default, it's going to kick off major compactions every 24 hours.  You
probably want to bump that up to the max interval and manage your major
compactions yourselves (I.e., kick them off exactly when you want them).

I need to make that a little more obvious in the book.

Posted by hm...@tsmc.com.

[...]

             l.com>                                                                                                                    To

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Hi there-