Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by qu...@metronet.com on 2000/11/18 23:36:48 UTC

Cocoon 1.8 Installation Question

I am setting up a server that has the following configuration:

    Mandrake 7.0 (RedHat variant)
    Apache 1.3.14    (Installed in /usr/local/apache)
    Tomcat 3.1         (Installed in /usr/local/tomcat)
    Cocoon 1.8        (Installed in /usr/local/cocoon)

I have Apache and Tomcat working with various samples of static
HTML, JSP, and servlets. I have disabled the Tomcat webserver
and configured it to use Apache (at least I think I have).

I followed the Cocoon 1.8 installation instructions for Apache and
Tomcat, but when trying to access the URL: localhost/cocoon/Cocoon.xml
as the docs state, the /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log file states:
[date][error][client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist:
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/cocoon/Cocoon.xml

The docs state this is a virtual file, so I can't verify it's contents
independently.

When I try to test the other URL the docs suggest
localhost/cocoon/servlets/index.xml
Netscape opens the Save As dialog prompting me to save the file. This happens
on Netscape 4.73 on Linux and Netscape 4.5 on Windows.

However I can list and edit the file, and the permissions on the file are 664,

and the parent directories of the file are at least 755. I can execute the
tomcat
demos in /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/examples and the permissions are the same
for the cocoon directory tree as they are for the examples tree.

I could not find any leads on what to do in the FAQ. Does anyone have an
idea on what my problem is?

Thanks, BJ
quikdraw@metronet.com