Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Matthew Bishop <ma...@thebishops.org> on 2002/12/30 21:01:14 UTC

CVS, Perforce, Subversion, et al.

I have used numerous source control systems, including perforce, and I would
recommend staying with CVS for several reasons:

1. CVS is a well-known SCM in the open source world, as well as the
commercial world.  Makes it easier for people to participate in James.  Also
means there's tons of doc and experience out there to draw on.

2. Perforce is highly evolved, thus highly complex.  It is really powerful,
but it is also a pain to administer and has a rather confusing command set.
I have grown to like it over the last year at work, but there's also been a
lot of pain (we migrated from CVS to Perforce).  The main benefits are in
user control and module visibility.  There is a nice integration feature,
but in real life I find it a difficult to use well.

3. Subversion is pretty new, relatively speaking.  Lots of people are
excited about it, but it is still cutting edge and thus full of unexplored
corners.

4. James is already on CVS, and probably won't need anything CVS cannot
provide.  Far bigger and more complicated projects grow just fine with CVS.

Matt Bishop
matt@thebishops.org

"We are all here on earth to help others.  What I can't figure out is what
the others are here for."
    - W. H. Auden

RE: CVS, Perforce, Subversion, et al.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Matt,

We're not talking about unilaterally moving James to another CVS.  At some
point the word is that all ASF project will migrate to Subversion, as soon
as infrastructure is satisfied that the time is right (most likely when
they've debugged the CVS -> Subversion conversion script).

	--- Noel