Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ralph Bruno <Ra...@visiontext.co.uk> on 2001/05/02 19:31:01 UTC

RE: embedding Arial Unicode MS

HI all,

I'm perplexed by this Arial Unicode MS problem. I created a document in Word
using Arial Unicode MS, with bold and italicised words, then converted it
into a pdf.

Going by Tore's comments on the lack of italic or bold versions of Arial
Unicode MS, I inspected the font properties of the document to see what it
had used for the italics and bold, and found that it had used ArialUnicode
throughout. There were no entries specifically for the bold or italic bits
(which I had noticed in other tests using standard Arial).

Am I right then in assuming that the italic and bold information must be
included within the metrics for ArialUnicodeMS?. The FOP UserConfig expects
a specific font for italic or bold, or is there some parameter I need to set
to get it to read the correct styling?

Thanks

Ralph Bruno

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscope.co.jp>.
Ralph Bruno wrote:
> Going by Tore's comments on the lack of italic or bold versions of Arial
> Unicode MS, I inspected the font properties of the document to see what it
> had used for the italics and bold, and found that it had used ArialUnicode
> throughout. There were no entries specifically for the bold or italic bits
> (which I had noticed in other tests using standard Arial).

Maybe bold and italics is done in this case by playing with scaling and
skewing of the character coordinate system.

Carlos