Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> on 2002/07/08 00:05:16 UTC

Jakarta Velocity 1.3 Released

The Velocity community is proud to announce the release of v1.3 of the
Jakarta Velocity template engine.

Along with numerous minor fixes, this release includes

 o Automatic detection of Jakarta Log4j or Jakarta Avalon's logkit
   for standard logging.

 o "Application Attributes" allow applications to interact with custom
    components such as resource loaders, loggers, etc.

 o The Resource Manager and Resource Cache are now pluggable, allowing
   for customized implementations.

 o The User's Guide is available in Finnish, French, Spanish and English

Thanks all for the patience.

I think we should roll the current CVS head out as 1.4-rc1 to get some of
the fixes out and available.  And no, it won't be the same release cycle.
Apologies...

Re: Jakarta Velocity 1.3 Released

Posted by Mike Williams <md...@bigfoot.com>.
  >>> "Terry" == "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>

  Terry> Geir, Many thanks for your dedication.  ... The remarkable quality
  Terry> of the Velocity product could simply not happen without your
  Terry> fantastic contribution, and that is very much appreciated by us
  Terry> all.

Well said, Terry!  Many thanks, Geir.

--
cheers, Mike

Re: Jakarta Velocity 1.3 Released

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 7/8/02 2:58 AM, "Skondras P." <pa...@hq.acn.gr> wrote:

> Hi all
> I just upgrade to vel 1.3 and a working code in vel 1.2  now says
>
> $toolbox.get($stateNames, $velocityCount) is not a valid reference.
> The  $stateNames is an object array and $velocityCount is int.
>
> The arguments of the method are Object[],int
> Any hints or ideas

Arg.  At least you can't say we rushed this release out the door.

:)

I thought I was seeing things - this bug, or something like it, has been
rattling around in the back of my head for a while, but I guess I figured it
was me.

We'll find it and kill it and then do a 1.3.1 release.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.

Re: Jakarta Velocity 1.3 Released

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 7/8/02 10:24 AM, "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com> wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1) I can see from below what Jelly is, but what about Jexl?  And where
>  would one find such products?  URL's anyone.  :)

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jelly/
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jexl/

Jelly is a 'product'.

Jexl is an expression engine that allows you to embed expression support in
java applications.  Think of it as Velocity-like expression syntax that you
can use.  I am trying to ensure that it's compatible with the JSTL
expression language, with extensions that we Velociteers as used to, namely
access to any public method.

   'foo.bar(thing)'

There are no $ for references, because jexl won't dictate the format of
references, allowing the freedom of implementation.

For example, Jelly uses jexl as its default expression language, with the
syntax of

  ${foo.bar}

But if you had another app, it could be $foo.bar or [foo.bar] or...

> 2) Is there a page describing all the features of the 1.3 release.
>  Things I was looking for are the url-loader and the tools.  I am assuming
>  the tools is still a subproject in CVS, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
>  (Yes, I'm lazy, I want all the pieces in one jar. :)

The tools are independent, and in my opinion, we shouldn't like the
releases.  The URL loader didn't make it.  I am not sure that we should,
unless there really is interest in seeing it in core.  I would rather see
the WebappLoader get into core (and the complentary logger...), but we
should discuss.

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.
Two questions:

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

Posted by Mike Williams <md...@bigfoot.com>.
  >>> "Geir" == "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>

  Geir> Anyway, things with my professional work are now on an even keel,
  Geir> so I should be able to resume devoting more time to Vel, DVSL, Jexl
  Geir> and other things ...

Geir, do you see Jelly+Jexl replacing Velocity down the track, or will they
peacefully co-exist??

--
cheers, Mike

"Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again."

Re: Jakarta Velocity 1.3 Released

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 7/7/02 7:06 PM, "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com> wrote:

> Geir,
>
> Many thanks for your dedication.  Ver 1.3 has been a while in coming, but I
> believe we all understand how many last-minute details emerge just before
> any major release.

The honest truth here is that I got hosed for a while with my consulting
work.  Almost 7 days a week for about 6 months. The 1.3-rc1 release was done
when I was able to shake free for JavaOne, for example.  Lately, I've
reintroduced myself to my wife, and remembered how to race a sailboat...

Anyway, things with my professional work are now on an even keel, so I
should be able to resume devoting more time to Vel, DVSL, Jexl and other
things ...

> The remarkable quality of the Velocity product could
> simply not happen without your fantastic contribution, and that is very much
> appreciated by us all.

Thanks.

geir

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 7/7/02 7:06 PM, "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com> wrote:

> Geir,
>
> Many thanks for your dedication.  Ver 1.3 has been a while in coming, but I
> believe we all understand how many last-minute details emerge just before
> any major release.

The honest truth here is that I got hosed for a while with my consulting
work.  Almost 7 days a week for about 6 months. The 1.3-rc1 release was done
when I was able to shake free for JavaOne, for example.  Lately, I've
reintroduced myself to my wife, and remembered how to race a sailboat...

Anyway, things with my professional work are now on an even keel, so I
should be able to resume devoting more time to Vel, DVSL, Jexl and other
things ...

> The remarkable quality of the Velocity product could
> simply not happen without your fantastic contribution, and that is very much
> appreciated by us all.

Thanks.

geir

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Geir,

Many thanks for your dedication.  Ver 1.3 has been a while in coming, but I
believe we all understand how many last-minute details emerge just before
any major release.  The remarkable quality of the Velocity product could

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 7/22/02 4:31 PM, "Kevin Baynes" <kb...@seagullsw.com> wrote:

> My tests indicate that Velocity 1.3 still generates a
> ResourceNotFoundException when using ClasspathResourceLoader in Tomcat 4.
>
> Any chance of that fix making it into 1.3.1 or 1.4-rc1? :-)

1.4

The introspection problem is huge in 1.3, so that's warranting the 1.3.1  We
can follow right after with 1.4 the the tomcat 4 inspired fixes, but need to
get 1.3.x out there.

Posted by Kevin Baynes <kb...@seagullsw.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

Posted by Jon Schewe <sc...@htc.honeywell.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. writes:

 > The Velocity community is proud to announce the release of v1.3 of the
 > Jakarta Velocity template engine.
 >
 > Along with numerous minor fixes, this release includes
 >
 >  o Automatic detection of Jakarta Log4j or Jakarta Avalon's logkit
 >    for standard logging.
 >
 >  o "Application Attributes" allow applications to interact with custom
 >     components such as resource loaders, loggers, etc.
 >
 >  o The Resource Manager and Resource Cache are now pluggable, allowing
 >    for customized implementations.
 >
 >  o The User's Guide is available in Finnish, French, Spanish and English
 >
 > Thanks all for the patience.
 >
 > I think we should roll the current CVS head out as 1.4-rc1 to get some of
 > the fixes out and available.  And no, it won't be the same release cycle.
 > Apologies...

Unfortunatly it appears that bugs fixed previously in CVS came back in this
release.  Most notably the following bug I sent to the list back in
April and was fixed by grabbing the latest from CVS at that time.
I have the following bit of text in a velocity template:
#if (${OBJECT_TYPE} == "collection")
  /**
   * Calls setIntersection with windowStart and windowEnd set to
   * PCFunctions.MIN_VALUE and PCFunctions.MAX_VALUE, respectively.
   *
   * @see #setIntersection(PC${NAME}StepFunction, long, long)
   */
#end

When I run Velocity on the file I get the following:
[FATAL]: Problem merging template(Function): Encountered "Intersection" at
line 1079, column 15.
Was expecting one of:
    "(" ...
    <WHITESPACE> ...

I tried changing it to \#setIntersection, then my output contained the
backslash as well.  Is there anyway around this, short of setting a variable
to #set and using that in my template?

--
Jon Schewe | schewe_jon@htc.honeywell.com
*My views may not represent those of my employers

Re: Jakarta Velocity 1.3 Released

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>