Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/08 19:06:36 UTC

[VOTE] Review then commit, or commit then review

Hey all -

I'm calling a vote on whether we should go with review then commit (R-T-C)
or commit then review (C-T-R). See definitions at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html. The vote's open for 72
hours, and is open to anyone on the committers or mentors list at
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/bigtop.html. Thanks!

A.

Re: [VOTE] Review then commit, or commit then review

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the vote is closed. I'll start another vote on the details of the RTC
process tomorrow.

A.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 08/08/2011 10:06 AM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> Hey all -
>
> I'm calling a vote on whether we should go with review then commit (R-T-C)
> or commit then review (C-T-R). See definitions at
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html. The vote's open for 72
> hours, and is open to anyone on the committers or mentors list at
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/bigtop.html. Thanks!
>
> A.

Is the vote closed?

Re: [VOTE] Review then commit, or commit then review

Posted by Peter Linnell` <pl...@cloudera.com>.
On 08/08/2011 03:26 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> Also, fwiw, I'm +1 on C-T-R. I personally think R-T-C has a place on a more
> mature project that needs to care more about controlling what gets in than
> embracing potential new committers, but I think we're not yet at the stage
> where we really need what R-T-C provides. I believe the increased velocity
> of C-T-R can be a big help to a project, especially one this early in its
> lifespan.
>
> A.
>
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Andrew Bayer<an...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I should mention that this vote isn't specifying how many +1s would be
>> needed, how long the vote period would be, etc. I think we should first
>> decide which overall philosophy we want to go with, and then the
>> implementation details of what we choose.
>>
>> A.
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Andrew Bayer<an...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all -
>>>
>>> I'm calling a vote on whether we should go with review then commit (R-T-C)
>>> or commit then review (C-T-R). See definitions at
>>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html. The vote's open for 72
>>> hours, and is open to anyone on the committers or mentors list at
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/bigtop.html. Thanks!
>>>
>>> A.

At this point I'd vote +1 for CTR. Once we bootstrap Bigtop into a
larger project, then we could revisit this. I think the priority is
getting past the bootstrap stage.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Review then commit, or commit then review

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Alright, including James' email to me directly, that's 2 for CTR and 3 for
RTC, so RTC it is!

A.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for review-then-commit

I think it provides a good balance of speed and code quality plus
there are many initial committers so it should not take too long for a
patch to get a review.

-- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro