Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Markus Volberg <Ma...@gmx.de> on 2001/09/27 12:54:50 UTC

XMLCH Doc

Hello,

I am new to Xerces and I have a problem:
Where is the XMLCh Class documented? It's not in the api (alphabetical list)
and I coundn't find it anywhere else. I am using the latest version 1.5.1 on
a windows platform.
Thank you.
(I hope this is the right place to ask these questions ...)

Markus Volberg

http://www.gmx.net

Re: XMLCH Doc

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
Actually, I'm just striking out all over today. It couldn't be moved up to
XercesDefs.hpp because the other reason it was per-compiler is so that those
compilers that are actually up to date (and those who aren't know who they
are) can typedef to their unique wchar_t type if its UTF-16. Otherwise, they
have to use whatever comes out to be an unsigned 16 bit value.

--------------------------
Dean Roddey
The Charmed Quark Controller
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!"

Re: XMLCH Doc

Re: XMLCH Doc

Posted by Jerry Carter <je...@speechworks.com>.
At 12:54 PM 27-09-01 +0200, Markus Volberg wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am new to Xerces and I have a problem:
>Where is the XMLCh Class documented? It's not in the api (alphabetical list)
>and I coundn't find it anywhere else. I am using the latest version 1.5.1 on
>a windows platform.

XMLCh is a simple typedef (not a class).  You can find in defined for each
compiler in the src/util/Compilers directory.

To preempt a few questions, XMLCh
  * is generally typedef'ed to 'unsigned short'
  * needs to be able to hold 16 bits of information
  * is not identical to wchar_t on all platforms

Internally, Xerces uses UTF-16 encoding (for more info see
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/utf_bom.html#6).  Different platforms
have different represenations of wide characters (see
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build-misc.html#faq-5) and some conversion
may be necessary.  Depending on your needs, the XMLString::transcode
function may be appropriate.

							-=- Jerry Carter