Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by saikari keitele <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/28 18:13:52 UTC

[users@httpd] [Newbie] Can Apache only deal with http requests

Hello,
Sorry for such a newbie question. I would need clarification concerning the
exact scope of what Apache is meant for. Is it correct to say that Apache
is a server only for responding to http requests (typically generated from
a client browser)?
My situation is that I want to set up a mysql server responding to queries
from remote clients which are QT desktop applications (queries use ODBC
standard for connections). This is not a scenario in which Apache could be
of any use as I will not be using http, php, etc, is that correct?

Many thanks

Saikari

Re: [users@httpd] [Newbie] Can Apache only deal with http requests

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.
On Thursday 28 June 2012 12:13:52 saikari keitele wrote:
> Hello,
> Sorry for such a newbie question. I would need clarification concerning
> the exact scope of what Apache is meant for. Is it correct to say that
> Apache is a server only for responding to http requests (typically
> generated from a client browser)?
> My situation is that I want to set up a mysql server responding to
> queries from remote clients which are QT desktop applications (queries
> use ODBC standard for connections). This is not a scenario in which
> Apache could be of any use as I will not be using http, php, etc, is
> that correct?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Saikari
The easy way would be to write the queries in PHP on the server and Java
Script on the client browser then use Apache to obtain the information,
then serve it back.  Very easy to do!  In fact, the first thing I ever did
with Apache and I had the application up and running in production in a few
days..

Good luck!

John