Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by xtof <ch...@hp.com> on 2007/10/03 14:34:11 UTC

Packaging and deployment question

Hello,

We are planning to use ServiceMix as a mediation framework between various
System and a Manager of Manager.
Our question concerns the packaging and deployment.

For integrating a System with the Manager of Manager we should have this
typical deployment of components:

System A -> a-in-BC -> a-in-SE ---------> MoM-in-SE -----> MoM-in-BC
--------> Manager Of Manager

System A <- a-inout-BC <- a-inout-SE <--- MoM-inout-SE <----MoM-inout-BC
<----- Manager Of Manager

So we plan to deliver a First common Service Assembly composed of:
      MoM-in-BC + MoM-inout-BC + MoM-inout-SE + MoM-in-SE

For each type of System we plan to deliver a Service Assembly composed of:
	 xxx-in-BC + xxx-in-SE  + xxx-inout-BC + xxx-inout-SE
For each BC we plan to define a configuration file for configuring the
endpoints according to the customer context (port number, system ip address,
....)
For integrating this Service Assembly on a production platform, the
integrator just need to fill the configuration file and deploy the Service
Assembly.

But how managing the case where we have multiple Systems of the same type to
integrate to the same Manager of Manager?

Indeed we cannot deploy another instance of the same Service Assembly. It
implies to make a new service assembly with a different name. This is not
possible during the integration phase.

There're some threads about dynamic endpoints, but I dont think it can help
in our context.

Do you have an idea?

Thank
Christophe

Re: Packaging and deployment question

Posted by Daryl Richter <ng...@comcast.net>.
On Oct 5, 2007, at 12:33 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> [snip]

> Are you asking how to deploy multiple copies of your SAs to multiple
> ServiceMix containers?

Well, he may not be, but I am...  ;)

This has actually been puzzling me for a while and I can't seem to
find the answer, even through much web research.

Say I have a service whose job is to consume messages off a queue and
put them in a database.  Everything is going fine, but then a large
number of messages start flooding the queue and it can no longer keep
up.  Assume my service is stateless and I want to just have more
"instances" of it running in ServiceMix so that it can process more
messages.  Later, once the "storm" has passed, I may want to turn off
some of the "instances" to free up memory/cpu for other services.

What is the recommended ServiceMix strategy for scaling in this manner?

--
Daryl
http://itsallsemantics.com

"I’m afraid of the easy stuff… its always harder than it seems…"
     -- Bill Hampton, 2006

Re: Packaging and deployment question

Posted by xtof <ch...@hp.com>.
I would like to avoid deploying multiple containers. Indeed, if I do that for
my use case, it will imply deploying 1 container per SA.
In fact I would like to deploy dynamically csonsumer/provider enpoints to BC
SU.

I'm trying to implement a SE providing this deployment service.
The idea is to use the same method as in some ServiceMix JUnit Tests:

this.getServiceUnit().getComponent().getServiceUnitManager().deploy(<SU
name>, <xbean file>);

this.getServiceUnit().getComponent().getServiceUnitManager().start(<SU
Name>);

This service take in parameter a SU name and a xbean file.

But according to a thread in this forum, this is not recommanded. Why?
Moreover I've some difficulties with this approach as the enpoint namespace
cannot be resolved (I suppose the classpath is wrong).

So is it the right approach?
Can you recommand another solution?

Thank
Christophe