Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/03 21:54:38 UTC

[PROPOSAL] New plan for Apache ServiceMix 5.0

L.S.,

About a year and a half ago, we had some discussions on the mailing list
about a plan for Apache ServiceMix 5.0 and had some initial commits to
build the additional services and functionality.  Since then however, none
of us have actually had the time to work on that code or move things
forward.

In the meanwhile, we are also struggling constantly to get our releases
done in timely fashion.  The latest 4.5.0 release took almost 9 months
since the first mention of it on the dev@ list.  Doing a ServiceMix release
now is quite a task: it usually involves doing releases in 5 or 6
subprojects.

I would like to propose a new plan for Apache ServiceMix 5.0.  Instead of
doing a lot of new development, how about we start with the current 4.x
features codebase and remove everything that's related to JBI and the NMR.
 That will give us a nice and simple integration container build (based on
Karaf, Camel, CXF, ActiveMQ, ...) and everything is living in a single
project that's quick and easy to release.

If we start doing this now, we could get a build out with Karaf 2.3.0,
ActiveMQ 5.8.0, Camel 2.11.0 (which will bring in Scala 2.10 and opens up
the possibility to include the Akka OSGi examples I built a few months ago)
pretty soon after those versions are available.   With only one project to
maintain the versions of all those dependencies, we should be able to
follow up more regularly as our sibling projects do (new) fix releases as
well.

We don't have to throw away the existing ServiceMix 5.0 code by the way, we
can always move that into a separate branch and then cherry-pick the useful
bits afterwards, but I think our first goal now should be to get ourselves
in a position that we can actually build and release stuff more easily
again.

Wdyt?

Gert Vanthienen

Re: [PROPOSAL] New plan for Apache ServiceMix 5.0

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Oliver,

In ServiceMix 5, we won't be including the JBI and NMR layers nor the
JBI components any more.  You can still install the older versions of
those bundles into ServiceMix 5, but that will only be a convenient
solution as long the version ranges of those bundles still match up
with what we have available (e.g. for things like Spring, Blueprint,
...).

At this moment, we are using our ServiceMix 4 features/trunk to work
towards newer 4.5.x releases but we haven't been doing any upgrades to
newer versions of Camel, Karaf, ActiveMQ, ... there.  We can easily
change that and set up the necessary branch to maintain a newer
version of ServiceMix 4.x if you or anyone else in the community
fancies working on that.

In the long run, you'll probably want to move away from JBI for your
own development.  If you run into any issues or features that are
missing or have any tips and tricks to share with other users, we'd
obviously be very interested in learning about those experiences too.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1
-------------
Freeman(Yue) Fang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com
http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1473905042
weibo: @Freeman小屋

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 from my side too!

Posted by Robert Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
sounds good to me too

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guillaume,
>

> Bundles and specs are usually released separately these days and they have
> a completely different release cycle than the container, so I would keep
> those as they are today.
>
> I was mainly thinking about Features itself and the things we usually
> release together with that (Utils, Components, NMR, Archetypes).  If we
> could strip that down to a single maven build for the container itself and
> drop the JBI/NMR bits, we should be able to do those container builds more
> quickly and easily, making it easier to stay up-to-date with all other
> dependency versions (Karaf, Camel, CXF, ...)
>

> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen

+1

Sounds good if it becomes easier to cut new SMX releases (as well
patch releases).

> [...]
>> > ActiveMQ 5.8.0, Camel 2.11.0 (which will bring in Scala 2.10 and opens up
>> > the possibility to include the Akka OSGi examples I built a few months
>> ago)
>> > pretty soon after those versions are available.   With only one project
>> > maintain the versions of all those dependencies, we should be able to
>> > follow up more regularly as our sibling projects do (new) fix releases as
>> > well.
>> >
>> > We don't have to throw away the existing ServiceMix 5.0 code by the way,
>> we
>> > can always move that into a separate branch and then cherry-pick the
>> useful
>> > bits afterwards, but I think our first goal now should be to get
>> ourselves
>> > in a position that we can actually build and release stuff more easily

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] New plan for Apache ServiceMix 5.0

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Corrado Campisano <co...@gmail.com>.
thx,
I think I'll stay on smix and do not mess with Karaf...

anyway +1 for the new smix5 approach.

regards,
corrado

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
It's not that difficult, but you need to face all the problems SMX solves
for you like updating the jre.properties, system.properties (system class
loader), additional libs and so on... So, it's possible but definitely not
a no-brain action...

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Corrado Campisano <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henryk,

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com>.
+1

streamline and increase the frequency of releases sound good for me

Regards

--Filippo

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] New plan for Apache ServiceMix 5.0

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

I don't think that the installation (disk space) footprint would change a
lot, to be honest.

For the default assembly, that already doesn't include any of the JBI/NMR
stuff, so it is just Karaf + Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ JARs.  The JBI assembly
would disappear and the full assembly would probably become only slightly
smaller (because we drop the NMR/JBI + JBI components, but a lot of their
dependencies are part of Camel & co as well).  The whole point of the full
assembly is to have something that contains all the runtime dependencies
for offline use, so that's bound to be a rather large distribution.

We added the minimal assembly for people that don't like our default
dependency set (Camel, CXF and ActiveMQ) and just need one or two of those,
so they can start with an empty container and only add the things they
want.  What particular combination of components/dependencies did you have
in mind when you were thinking about a smaller footprint assembly?

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Corrado Campisano <

Posted by Corrado Campisano <co...@gmail.com>.
hi

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Excellent idea Gert +1

--
Cheers,
Jon

Re: [PROPOSAL] New plan for Apache ServiceMix 5.0

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

I think that goes a long way to removing the end-user confusion/new
developer ramp up period if JBI+NMR is fully removed.

Thanks

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Awesome idea! Let's keep SM.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Twitter: iocanel
*

Re: [PROPOSAL] New plan for Apache ServiceMix 5.0

Posted by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com>.
+1 re-using the SM project for 5.0.x

Regards

--Filippo