Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Απόστολος Συρόπουλος <as...@hotmail.com> on 2014/02/07 11:32:54 UTC

Solaris GCC or Sun Studio?

Hello,

As far it regards Solaris,I have noticed that the building scripts of OpenOffice
assume that one is building with Sun Studio. This compiler is a bit outdated
and of course GCC is available for most platforms. Since LibreOffice has
removed support for Sun Studio, I guess it would be a goof idea to remove
support for Sun Studio. It adds complexity without reason. For example,
I tried to compile a module and it failed just because it assumed that
I was using Sun Studio.

Kind regards,
A.S.

--
Apostols Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece

RE: Solaris GCC or Sun Studio?

Posted by Απόστολος Συρόπουλος <as...@hotmail.com>.
I replying from a mobile device... The problem is that the file solaris.mk under gbuild/platform assumes that one uses Sun Studio. So one needs to replace this file with one that would actually work under Solaris+gcc. Once I had compiled clang but I guess current versions should compile, with some modifications.

Best regards,
Apostolos

Re: Solaris GCC or Sun Studio?

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solaris GCC or Sun Studio?

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
Hi Απόστολος,

> As far it regards Solaris,I have noticed that the building scripts of OpenOffice
> assume that one is building with Sun Studio. This compiler is a bit outdated
> and of course GCC is available for most platforms. Since LibreOffice has
> removed support for Sun Studio, I guess it would be a goof idea to remove
> support for Sun Studio. It adds complexity without reason. For example,
> I tried to compile a module and it failed just because it assumed that
> I was using Sun Studio.

Some people are still using SunStudio for building OpenOffice. Please
see the thread http://markmail.org/thread/5gnsk7hmehxfdthx for more
details and the problems that result from this platform, but we
shouldn't remove it yet.

Herbert