Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Hess <gh...@wrappedapps.com> on 2002/07/29 20:10:01 UTC

uncoupling Web Design/Web Development

Hi All,

I have designed a web application that is dependant on a work flow, the user
interface is constructed by Web Designers and the server side is done by Web
Developers. The web designers are now comfortable using the struts tags and
so on but they hate the fact that they have to follow the work flow in order
to see changes on a specific page. They would like to be able to view a page
directly, out side the work flow in order to perform the web design.

I am not sure how I should facilitate this or if I should?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Re: uncoupling Web Design/Web Development

Posted by Michael Delamere <ho...@michael-delamere.de>.
I think you´re right.  You should hear the conversations that we are having
at work currently.  We are in the middle of planing a new project and we are
desperately trying to thnik of every possible thing that could go wrong!
What if at some stage.... or have you thought of that.... !

It´s driving me nuts because I really want it to be a success.  The problem
is though that even if we managed to think of every conceivable thing that
could go wrong, we still have to take time and resources into account.  I
would love to spend 1 year planning the whole god damn thing (even then I
couldn´t guarantee anything ;-) ) and then create the perfect project.
Dream on.

I must admit though that thanks to frameworks like struts, it becomes
slightly easier because when you discuss the view you say.... yeah...
struts.... and the controller... yeah struts... :-) .

As you may have read in the thread that I started "Architecture advice", the
service layer is driving me slightly nuts because if that isn´t right
then...... it probably means trouble at some point.

I hope I´m not going to get into trouble for misusing this thread with
dreams of a perfect project ;-)!  I think you´re right though in saying that
more than two formats may be needed eventually but that´s another story....
(now anyway :-) ).

Regards,

Michael

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Michael Delamere wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:09:08 +0200
> From: Michael Delamere <ho...@michael-delamere.de>
> Subject: Re: uncoupling Web Design/Web Development
>
> I agree entirely!  There are many advantages of doing it the way you are.
> For us however it would be a big step and the time certainly isn´t there!
>
> Then again, currently there is no need for us to generate so many differnet
> types of views at present.
> WAP and WEB at the most....

You might be amused at one of my personal experiences that caused the
creatoin of Struts in the first place ...

My job was to take a US-based application and make it available, on the
web, in Europe.  Obviously, using American English wasn't going to cut it,
so we agreed to start in "just" four languages.  Lacking anything like
Struts, I had to do it the old fashioned way -- four copies of each page
:-).  Clumsy, but maintainable (if only barely).

Maintainable, that is, until four became eight, then twelve, then ... and
now you know where tags like <bean:message> come from!  :-)

The moral of the story -- requirements always change over time, and they
always seem to get bigger rather than smaller.  I wouldn't believe for a
minute that you will only need two formats now and forever more ... unless
they kill the project, which is a whole *different* problem :-).

> Michael

Craig

Posted by Greg Hess <gh...@wrappedapps.com>.
We have structured our development in the same manner. However now that we
are on a second(design) iteration the web designers are complaining that it
is time consuming to have to run through the complete work flow in order to
view small changes to the UI.

I am not sure if I should design the business logic to support default
values in a "design mode" so that the designers could view the pages
directly with default beans loaded into some scope. This would be time
consuming as every Action would have to support this "design mode".

Right now for testing I simply populate the database with default values but
you still have to follow the work flow in order to view pages.

I am thinking that I will compromise and allow direct access points
strategically throughout the app. I don't have the time to do this right now
so my current response to design is to bear with me.

What do others do to relieve this conflict?

Any help much appreciated,

Greg

Posted by Melissa L Kelley <st...@stuology.net>.

Posted by Greg Hess <gh...@wrappedapps.com>.
Thanks, very interesting. I was having trouble understanding some of the
benefits of using XML/XSLT and this is a very compelling benefit.

Greg

> I have designed a web application that is dependant on a work flow,
the
user
> interface is constructed by Web Designers and the server side is done
by
Web
> Developers. The web designers are now comfortable using the struts
tags
and
> so on but they hate the fact that they have to follow the work flow in
order
> to see changes on a specific page. They would like to be able to view
page
> directly, out side the work flow in order to perform the web design.
>
> I am not sure how I should facilitate this or if I should?
>
> Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

---

RE: uncoupling Web Design/Web Development

> I have designed a web application that is dependant on a work flow,
the
user
> interface is constructed by Web Designers and the server side is done
by
Web
> Developers. The web designers are now comfortable using the struts
tags
and
> so on but they hate the fact that they have to follow the work flow in
order
> to see changes on a specific page. They would like to be able to view
page
> directly, out side the work flow in order to perform the web design.
>
> I am not sure how I should facilitate this or if I should?
>
> Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

---

Re: uncoupling Web Design/Web Development