Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Ray Weng <RW...@ariba.com> on 2001/06/01 02:28:48 UTC

RE: Does SOAP4J use SOAP-ENC:Array?

Thanks,
Mat.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew J. Duftler [mailto:duftler@watson.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 11:26 AM
To: soap-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: Does SOAP4J use SOAP-ENC:Array?

Hi Ray,

> A trivil question which might be annoying but please allow me to
> ask. In the
> result I got as attached,
> Why does the SOAP4J use "ns2" as the prefix for the namespace
> "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"?
> I thought the "SOAP-ENC" is the one stated in the SOAP spec.

Any namespace prefix, so-long as it is associated with the appropriate
namespace URI, should work fine.

> The next question is a lit bit more serious,
> for some reason, our team decides to build our own SOAP Channel.
> But for sure we will talk to SOAP4J applications.
> Can SOAPJ understand when I send a Vector like this?
> <aVector SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:ur-type[3]" xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">

As long as the encoding conforms to the array encoding described in the
spec, it will be fine. The code only supports 1-dimensional arrays at
present.

> Also, do we or MS SOAP Toolkit need to implement the apoache specific
> encoding style as below?
> <aVector xmlns:ns2="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap" xsi:type="ns2:Vector">

This is just one way to encode lists of items. It can be used if you want.
If you want some other toolkit to understand it, I imagine you would have to
do some work on the other end (I'm not very familiar with the particulars of
the MS SOAP Toolkit).

Thanks,
-Matt