Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> on 2003/03/26 21:04:40 UTC

Separate JARs for HTML/WML?

Hey Dave, just checking out your changes for WML support.  Looks real good
so far.

My only concern is that the new JAR file for the WML components.  I strongly
feel that either the classes should just be included in the main Tapestry
JAR file, or that the source code for the WML be split out into its own
sub-project (that is, like the contrib framework).

Given that the WML stuff is only 33K and the main framwork is over 610KB I
think just a single JAR is appropriate (totalling about 640KB).  Didn't Bill
Gates say nobody would ever need more than 640KB?

Anyway, I'm strongly opposed to building two different deliverables (i.e.,
JAR files) from one source directory root.  That way lies madness (aka,
WebCT, my day job, which has one source root and about 200 deliverables and
it's a nightmare).

I guess a secondary question is whether there should be a separate
WML.library, or whether everything should just be rolled into the main
framework.library file?

BTW ... love the source code coverage numbers (99.3% !)

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

RE: Separate JARs for HTML/WML?

Posted by David Solis <ds...@legosoft.com.mx>.
Well, this was just a proposal; my goal, before integration, was to
maintain separate the two libraries and reduce dependences. I really
don't care if there is a single jar. Regarding the WML library, I guess
was a good idea to have a different library for wml but again I don't
care if wml components are part of the framework library, the problem
would be to rename some wml components because have the same name as
their HTML counterparts. As you can see, it needs to have wml exceptions
pages in the framework library. If you don't mind I'd like to have a WML
library.
I guess I like the idea about to have a single jar.
The time to define this issue is now because at this time I'm porting
our wap application to latest version.

Regards

David