Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2013/01/27 15:06:30 UTC

Schema mappings usability thought

Hi all,

When creating schema mappings in the Console, if you select the "AccountId"
or "Password" checkbox the "external attributes" tab gets blanked out.
Should the "Mandatory" value also change to "true" by default for each of
these cases (but remain editable)? I would imagine that for most cases when
mapping a account name + password, it must be mandatory. Perhaps the
"Mandatory" tab should be moved to the right of the passwords tab as part
of this, so that a user wouldn't have to change the value back if they want
it to be false.

Thoughts?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Schema mappings usability thought

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll merge a fix so that when AccountId is
selected, the "Mandatory" condition goes to "true" + non-editable. I will
leave the "Mandatory" field where it is in the display.

Colm.

Posted by Fabio Martelli <fa...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno 28/gen/2013, alle ore 12.43, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:

> On 27/01/2013 15:06, Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When creating schema mappings in the Console, if you select the "AccountId"
>> or "Password" checkbox the "external attributes" tab gets blanked out.
>> Should the "Mandatory" value also change to "true" by default for each of
>> these cases (but remain editable)? I would imagine that for most cases when
>> mapping a account name + password, it must be mandatory.
>
> Hi Colm,
>
> * for AccountId it does not make any sense to select a value other than true for "Mandatory", so +1 for your proposed change plus making not editable
>
> * for Password, in my experience generally this is propagated to one or two external resources (normally the Access Manager or its underlying user repository) and ignored for other external connected resources, so I would leave it as is ("false" by default, and editable).

+1

>> Perhaps the "Mandatory" tab should be moved to the right of the passwords tab as part
>> of this, so that a user wouldn't have to change the value back if they want
>> it to be false.

Probably you are right.
+1

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> Hi all,
>
> When creating schema mappings in the Console, if you select the "AccountId"
> or "Password" checkbox the "external attributes" tab gets blanked out.
> Should the "Mandatory" value also change to "true" by default for each of
> these cases (but remain editable)? I would imagine that for most cases when
> mapping a account name + password, it must be mandatory.

Hi Colm,

* for AccountId it does not make any sense to select a value other than
true for "Mandatory", so +1 for your proposed change plus making not
editable

  * for Password, in my experience generally this is propagated to one
or two external resources (normally the Access Manager or its underlying
user repository) and ignored for other external connected resources, so
I would leave it as is ("false" by default, and editable).

> Perhaps the "Mandatory" tab should be moved to the right of the passwords tab as part
> of this, so that a user wouldn't have to change the value back if they want
> it to be false.

+-0

Regards.

--