Posted to user@pig.apache.org by James Newhaven <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/18 17:30:25 UTC

Pig script is failing during reduce phase

Hi,

I am executing a Pig script on Elastic MapReduce. It runs fine over one
day's worth of data, but when I increase my dataset size to 30 days, the
reducers have started failing with the following error:

java.lang.Throwable: Child Error
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:271)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: *Task process exit with nonzero status of
137.*
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:258

I can't find any status code lookup tables in the documentation, so I can't
be certain what the root cause of the error is.

I suspect it is an out of memory problem on the reducer nodes, but I can't
be certain. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
James

Re: Pig script is failing during reduce phase

Posted by Courage Noko <co...@gmail.com>.
James,

What is the ulimit -n on the OS on which you are running your hadoop? If it
is low you may want to increase it as hadoop may require many open files
which exceed the OS's maximum number of open files.

Posted by Pankaj Gupta <pa...@brightroll.com>.