Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by mgargano <mg...@escholar.com> on 2010/12/03 16:39:51 UTC

Programmatic configuration

Hi,

     Shiro looks like a it supports exactly what I need for a project I'm
working on.  All the examples I see, however, use the web.xml or an ini file
for configuration of the realms that are supported.  I need to dynamically
change realms and the locations of authentication servers at runtime. (ie,
the user configures, through a web app, that they have 2 ldap servers and
one day they decide to remove one and add 2 AD servers and have this change
instantly take affect on authc and authz of users logging into that app)  Is
there a way this can be done programmatically?

Thanks.
-Mike

Re: Programmatic configuration

Posted by AndrewGr <in...@gmail.com>.
That sounds good! Thank you for sharing your experience with that! )

--
Sent from: http://shiro-user.582556.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Programmatic configuration

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Yup, you can just call 'setRealms()', if you are swapping implementations
at runtime you my also want to clean up the old ones too (depending on your
realm implementation)  For example some realms are 'Destroyable' so you
could just call 'destroy()' and that would cleanup any lingering resources.

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Setting the realms at runtime is pretty easy, just get the security
manager (assuming it is a RealmSecurityManager) and call setRealms()

After that you have full control over your Realm objects. Our realms
do not use the web.xml / ini config, as they use custom persistance.
(although we have ideas how to clean this up, but that is a different
topic)

Basically when my application starts, we programmatically set the
Realms with objects created by our container (not the Shiro object
factory).