Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com> on 2006/09/29 15:00:56 UTC

versions in poms

To maven gurus here:

I see many a poms have a version inside, like "1.0.0-SNAPSHOT", or
"1.0.0-M2-SNAPSHOT".

Am I right in understanding that this is either an error or omission, and
versions everywhere should read "2.2.0-SNAPSHOT" or "2.2.0-M2-SNAPSHOT"?

If so I'll try to change them wherever I encounter them...

Thanks,
Vadim

Re: versions in poms

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Jorg Heymans wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2006, at 15:14, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>> It is confusing, though. It would be better to start separate release
>> cycles with version 2.2.
>
> IMO that would be even more confusing. As Reinhard said, the 1.0 is a
> clear statement about the different release cycles.

Ok. I don't have strong objections, let it be 1.0.

Vadim

Re: versions in poms

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
On 29 Sep 2006, at 15:14, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> It is confusing, though. It would be better to start separate
> release cycles with version 2.2.

IMO that would be even more confusing. As Reinhard said, the 1.0 is a
clear statement about the different release cycles.

Jorg

Re: versions in poms

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 9/29/06, Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com> wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> > Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> >> To maven gurus here:
> >>
> >> I see many a poms have a version inside, like "1.0.0-SNAPSHOT", or
> >> "1.0.0-M2-SNAPSHOT".
> >>
> >> Am I right in understanding that this is either an error or omission,
> >> and versions everywhere should read "2.2.0-SNAPSHOT" or
> >> "2.2.0-M2-SNAPSHOT"?
> >
> > no, we decided (at least by not questioning it so far) that only the
> > Cocoon core module will get the version 2.2.0. As we have never released
> > any block as a seperate artifact yet, it makes sense to use 1.0.0 as
> > version. It also indicates that we can finally(!) have separate release
> > cycles for our various artifacts.
>
> It is confusing, though. It would be better to start separate release cycles
> with version 2.2.

That would likely get out of sync pretty quickly so at best it's a
short term solution.  Would it make any sense to try and match up the
POM version with the version of the major JAR that the POM depends on?
 I suspect not, so 1.0.0 seems as good of place to start as any...

--
Peter Hunsberger

Re: versions in poms

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.