Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Robert Swindells <rj...@fdy2.demon.co.uk> on 2009/07/31 00:29:48 UTC

Documentation

Is there any documentation simpler than the project tutorials ?

I'm looking for something that helps when the steps described in e.g.
<http://struts.apache.org/2.1.6/docs/ready-set-go.html> don't work.

Robert Swindells

Re: Documentation

Posted by Greg Lindholm <gr...@gmail.com>.
Highly recommend "Struts 2 in Action" from manning.

RE: Documentation

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
understood my connection varies from day to day so i deploy all important <xwork/struts> jars to my localRepository

contents of $M2_HOME/conf/settings.xml:

<settings>
  <localRepository id="local.repository" location="/LocalPluginFolderGoesHere"/>

wes,musachy and dave can walk you thru particulars

hth
Martin

> From: rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
> To: user@struts.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Documentation
> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:40:52 +0100
>

> Martin Gainty wrote:
> >re:"it doesnt work" is difficult to diagnose..please supply server.log and
> >console messages
>
> My problems were mainly down to Maven not connecting to the network. I
> have got it working a bit better now but it would be nice if it didn't
> download all of struts each time I run it.
>
> I guess I was asking whether there were any sample Makefiles to build
> the "Simple Setup" tree.
>
> Robert Swindells

Get free photo software from Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.com/online/photos?ocid=PID23393::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_PH_software:082009

Re: Documentation

Posted by Robert Swindells <rj...@fdy2.demon.co.uk>.

RE: Documentation

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
robert-
knowing the supplied blank.war is a template ..not a concrete application
We can make a copy of the
"blank.war" and deploy<the copy of the blank.war> to our container
then use the exploded copy as
the basis for our application.There is even a simple batch file in the
source code directory that we can use to recompile the application in
place.

For those of us using Maven as a build system, we can use the Maven Archetype to create a new application.

mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=be.realdolmen.struts2 -DartifactId=tutorial
                \ -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.struts
                \ -DarchetypeArtifactId=struts2-archetype-starter
                \ -DarchetypeVersion=2.0.11.2
<nota bene: this is a old archetype which worked with 2.0.11>
read caveat at bottom of page:
If for some reason the blank template or archetype doesn't work out,
it's not so hard to setup a Struts 2 application from scratch. For
details, see Simple Setup.

once the copied webapp is created
try to build your copied web-application
then deploy your webapp to your webserver du jour
ping me offline for details on setting this up

re:"it doesnt work" is difficult to diagnose..please supply server.log and console messages

ciao
Martin Gainty

Re: Documentation

Posted by Luca <wi...@yahoo.it>.

Re: Documentation

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Robert Swindells wrote:
> Is there any documentation simpler than the project tutorials ?
>
> I'm looking for something that helps when the steps described in e.g.
> <http://struts.apache.org/2.1.6/docs/ready-set-go.html> don't work.

Not much simpler than that; the mailing list is the place to go.

Dave