Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com> on 2002/11/26 19:02:30 UTC

Informal results so far

I want to keep voting open for at least 24 hours.  That
means that we can't draw any conclusive results until
roughly 9:14 AM EST tomorrow.

So far, we have near unanimous vote for Proposal 1 (one
container with multiple profiles).  So far the people
who have voted for Proposal 1 are:

Neeme Praks
Stephen McConnell
Marcus Crafter
Carsten Ziegeler

The person who has voted for Proposal 2 is:

Leo Sutic

Yet to vote are:

Myself (Berin)
Stefano
Leo Simmons
Leif
Paul Hammant
Peter Royal

and more.

I can go either way.

Re: Informal results so far

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
I've been thinking about this a while.  My vote in favor of #1 is
tactical. I'f prefer 'long live all containers, compatible at A-F
interfaces only', but it was not listed as an option. We have to some
degree the convergence of containers forced on us, #1 seemed a good
choice.  Don't get me wrong, I'll help with the convergence, I just
think it is wrong on merit.

- Paul

RE: Informal results so far

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@citi-us.com]
>
> For Proposal 1 (unified container with profiles)
> Neeme Praks
> Stephen McConnell
> Marcus Crafter
> Carsten Ziegler
> Pete Royal
> Stefano Mazzocchi
> Leif Mortenson
> Paul Hammant
> Leo Simmons
> Berin Loritsch  (I finally decided)
>

> For Proposal 2 (tiered set of containers)
> Leo Sutic
>

> Leo Sutic, how firm are you on proposal 2?

Don't consider it any kind of veto.

> It seems
> that the community is leaning strongly toward a unified container.

Proposal 1 has won as far as I'm concerned, and I'll get with the
program no problem.

/LS

RE: Informal results so far

Re: Informal results so far

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Berin,
>
>As a non-voting consumer of the technology, Id suggest that you adopt
>proposal #1, but be prepared to use the existing containers as test beds.
>Because there are two issues that need to come out of this:
>
> 1) How do we build the scalable container?
> 2) How do we build portable components that work with different
>    profiles?
>
>The existing code can be used to help answer the second question.
>
>FWIW, this week is Thanksgiving in the USA.  Tomorrow is a travel day for a
>lot of people.  For Americans, this is not a good week for making major
>project decisions.

Right. BTW, voting is open as long as needed (I thought I sent that
message to the list, but I guess not).

RE: Informal results so far