Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/07 17:32:25 UTC

How to work with optional Modules?

I’m copying both the users and dev lists because  1) I tried a similar question on the users list where I think this belongs and got no response, 2) something is wrong and there should be a discussion with  devs.

Netbeans does not seem to have any place to add modules for non-modular applications.

(I assert that most significantly complex applications cannot be modularized at this point because sooner or later the dependency chain will hit a non-modularized library.)

For example the java.logging module is part of the JDK but needs to be added as a dependency using "--add-module java.logging”.

I can make the changes to my Gradle build script to have these options set, but NetBeans remains ignorant of the added modules and thus highlights the code as if it contains errors.  Everything builds fine though.  I can’t find any place in NetBeans to add this information.  I even tried editing the etc/netbeans.conf file to add a -J--add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM to the default options, but that didn’t seem to have any effect on whatever code is determining where all those red squiggles go.

Thinking maybe this was just a Gradle integration issue, I tried an Ant-based project (which is not an option for my real work).  There I noticed different behaviour.  I was able to import java.util.logging.* without it showing as an error, but curiously the auto-complete would not suggest that there was such a package called ‘logging’ after typing java.util.  Though once I typed it manually, suggestions for classes in the java.util.logging package were made.

It seems there are still a lot of rough edges regarding the module system. I didn’t find anything in JIRA, but I can’t imagine that this isn’t a known issue.  What am I missing?

Regards,

Scott

Re: How to work with optional Modules?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Here's a scenario I've put together, if you have a different one and
complete and thorough steps, I'll make one with your scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSqqLHCP9ms

Gj

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
It did not work for me :-(
I had that checked, I tried unchecking it, I reloaded projects, checked it again, reloaded projects.. it didn’t seem to have any effect. I don’t even know what it is supposed to do, but it didn’t solve the issue.

Has anyone tried to reproduce the auto-complete issue?  That doesn’t involve any non-core NetBeans stuff.

Scott

Posted by Florian Vogler <fl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
> On Jan 7, 2019, at 3:45 PM, Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 8:12 PM Scott Palmer <swpalmer@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> But either way, auto-complete in NetBeans can’t “see” the
>> java.util.logging package.  “logging” is not offered as a suggestion for
>> auto-complete.  With a Gradle project (using the netbeans gradle
>

> Well, in a plain ant (J2SE) project, I can see "logging" in the code
> completion after "java.util.". But it is possible the index in your cache
> directory is broken, which would lead to what you seen. Or something else.

Must be something else, as I deleted the entire cache directory that was shown in the About window and that had no effect.

> Sadly, the e-mails do not contain enough information to diagnose and/or fix
> that.

All I’m doing is:
New Project…
Java/Java Application
Next...
Finish

In the main class file that opens I start typing an import statement:

import java.util.log<CTRL-SPACE>

which results in the auto-complete popup that after a (“Please wait…”) delay shows: “No suggestions”

Here’s a video:  https://youtu.be/bRZ_iFg_c5U <https://youtu.be/bRZ_iFg_c5U>

[I should probably change the subject of this thread.  Though the optional modules thing does apply to Java 9 and 10 where you must manually add java.xml.bind, java.xml.ws, jdk.attach, etc.]

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 8:12 PM Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe that was a bad example.  To be honest, I don’t really know.  The
> more I try to migrate from JDK 8 to JDK 11 the more baffled I am.  I know
> there were some modules in JDK9 and 10 that were some weird SE/EE thing
> like JAXB for example, and for those you had to use --add-modules or they
> weren’t visible to the unnamed module.
>
> With JDK 11 I started getting compile errors that the java.util.logging
> package wasn’t known until I started invoking java with
> --add-modules=java.logging. I may have been struggling with other module
> issues at the time that could have caused that.
>
> But either way, auto-complete in NetBeans can’t “see” the
> java.util.logging package.  “logging” is not offered as a suggestion for
> auto-complete.  With a Gradle project (using the netbeans gradle

Well, in a plain ant (J2SE) project, I can see "logging" in the code
completion after "java.util.". But it is possible the index in your cache
directory is broken, which would lead to what you seen. Or something else.
Sadly, the e-mails do not contain enough information to diagnose and/or fix
that.

> plugin 2.0.2 http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/44510/gradle-support <
> http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/44510/gradle-support>) it will even
> highlight the import line as an error.

It would be perfect if the author of the plugin could take a look.

Jan

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, autocorrect made a significant change on me.  That should read:

“...the java.util.logging package wasn’t known until I started invoking javac with --add-modules=java.logging”

javac needed the --add-modules, not java.

Scott

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.