Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Victor Okunev <ve...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/20 23:50:34 UTC

Maven repositories: metadata vs pom files?

Hello,

Does Maven2 need a pom file in repository to download a jar from
there? After examining the repositories' contents it seems that some
jars are provided with both pom and metadata files while others only
contain metadata files. Specifically, if I have this dependency in my
project:

<dependency>
  <groupId>com.sun.xml.bind</groupId>
  <artifactId>jaxb-libs</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.6</version>
</dependency>

mvn compile generates the following message:

Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-libs/1.0.6/jaxb-libs-1.0.6.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

When I visit the url I can see the jar and metadata files but no pom.
Why is that? Do I need to manually install such a jar in my local
repository in order to use it?

Thanks,

Victor

Re: Maven repositories: metadata vs pom files?

Posted by Victor Okunev <ve...@gmail.com>.
> 1. Use <type>jar</type>
> 2. You may be also interested in the following repos:
>
>         <repositories>
>                 <repository>
>                         <id>maven2-repository.dev.java.net</id>
>                         <url>https://maven2-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/repository</url>
>                 </repository>
>                 <repository>
>                         <id>maven-repository.dev.java.net</id>
>                         <url>https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/repository</url>
>                         <layout>legacy</layout>
>                 </repository>
>         </repositories>
>

> Bye.
> /lexi

It doesn't help. Besides jar is default type of dependency.

Posted by Aleksei Valikov <va...@gmx.net>.
Hi.

Re: m2 noobie probems with apache repository

Posted by Mark Nicholson <Ma...@pmigroup.com.au>.
Many thanks - but alas my problem persists

I'm not sure if its related, but that repo url should be:
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2

There's no trailing /maven.

Wayne

On 11/20/06, Mark Nicholson <Ma...@pmigroup.com.au> wrote:
> Hi - this was all working great guns but all of a sudden no-longer
>
> I'd set up the following pom dependancy -
>
>    :
>    <repository>
>        <id>Ibiblio</id>
>        <name>Ibiblio</name>
>        <url>http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/maven</url>
>    </repository>
>    <repository>
>        <id>Apache</id>
>        <name>Apache</name>
>        <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
>    </repository>
>    :
>
> and now I get the following error -
>
> :
> [INFO] Generate "Dependencies" report.
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] FATAL ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] org/apache/maven/shared/jar/Jar
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Trace
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/maven/shared/jar/Jar
>        at

org.apache.maven.report.projectinfo.dependencies.Dependencies.<init>(Dependencies.java:74)

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/20/06, Mark Nicholson <Ma...@pmigroup.com.au> wrote:

>     <repository>
>         <id>Ibiblio</id>
>         <name>Ibiblio</name>
>         <url>http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/maven</url>
>     </repository>

You don't need this one.  The central repository is included by
default.  (And he URL doesn't look right anyway.)

>     <repository>
>         <id>Apache</id>
>         <name>Apache</name>
>         <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
>     </repository>

Looks okay...  (the usual <id> is 'apache.snapshots', using that can
avoid duplicate requests.)  You might also want to say
so it only checks that repo for snapshots.

> and now I get the following error -
> :
> [INFO] Generate "Dependencies" report.
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] FATAL ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] org/apache/maven/shared/jar/Jar
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Trace
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/maven/shared/jar/Jar
>         at
> org.apache.maven.report.projectinfo.dependencies.Dependencies.<init>(Dependencies.java:74)

Try running with -U to make sure you have the latest versions of
everything, maybe there is some incompatibility.

After that, delete
org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin from your
local repository to force it to download a new version.  I'd also
remove org/apache/maven/shared because it looks like the problem might
be in a shared module.

--
Wendy

m2 noobie probems with apache repository

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/20/06, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This isn't a case of "repo has pom but no jar", instead its the
> opposite, jar with no pom. So I don't think its an artifact which
> cannot be redistributed. ;-)

Oops.  Not quite paying enough attention there. :)

--
Wendy

Re: Maven repositories: metadata vs pom files?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
This isn't a case of "repo has pom but no jar", instead its the
opposite, jar with no pom. So I don't think its an artifact which
cannot be redistributed. ;-)

Instead I think this is just another one of those cases where no pom
has been created for this artifact. So if it has any dependencies, you
will need to add them manually to your project or things won't work
properly.

And if you know something about the code (esp all its dependencies)
then feel free to write a pom and submit it via the Maven JIRA at
Codehaus so it has a proper pom file.

Wayne

Posted by Aleksei Valikov <va...@gmx.net>.
Hi.

>> Downloading:
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-libs/1.0.6/jaxb-libs-1.0.6.pom
>>
>> [WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
>> (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
>>
>> When I visit the url I can see the jar and metadata files but no pom.
>> Why is that? Do I need to manually install such a jar in my local
>> repository in order to use it?
>

> My guess is that it's a Sun jar that can't be freely distributed due
> to licensing restrictions.
>
> There is some info here, though that particular jar is not listed:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-coping-with-sun-jars.html

JAXB is under CDDL and available from maven dev.java.net repo (uploaded
by Sun people btw).

There's actually a lot of Sun JARs in maven-repository.dev.java.net and

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.