Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Gianluca Sartori <g....@elis.org> on 2003/10/20 15:35:12 UTC

request & response objects

Hi,

	I'm slowly getting into coccon. I read I can use "request" and
"response" objects in XSP pages from my Java code. The official
documentation says these objects are instances of
HTTPServletRequest/Response, but is it really true?

I'm instantiating an object whose constructor accepts two arguments as
follow:

public TheClass (HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)

When I try to instantiate an object out of this class cocoon ends up
with an error complaining about an undefined constructor. Here is how I
instantiated the object:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsp:page xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp">
<xsp:structure>
<xsp:include>org.mysite.*</xsp:include>
</xsp:structure>

<my-root-element>
<xsp:expr>new TheClass(request, response)</xsp:expr>
[...]

This gets translated into the following code:

[...]
XSPObjectHelper.xspExpr(contentHandler, new WASClient(request,
response));
[...]

And the error returned by cocoon is:

org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException: Error compiling
test_xsp: ERROR 1
(org/apache/cocoon/www/projects/was/docs/test_xsp.java): ...
this.characters("\n\n"); // start error (lines 104-104) "The constructor
WASClient(Request, Response) is undefined"
XSPObjectHelper.xspExpr(contentHandler, new WASClient(request,
response)); // end error this.characters("\n\n"); ... Line 104, column
0: The constructor WASClient(Request, Response) is undefined

A comment into the generated code makes me think about the correctness
of the documentation, here it is:

        /* Built-in parameters available for use */
        // context    - org.apache.cocoon.environment.Context
        // request    - org.apache.cocoon.environment.Request
        // response   - org.apache.cocoon.environment.Response

So, what should I do to make my Object working? I'm using
HTTPServletRequest/Response ad, to say the thruth, I'm not so happy
changing them to be used in coccon. Anyway, if you tell me this is the
only way to go...

Tanks for any suggestion,
Gianluca

Re: request & response objects

Posted by Gianluca Sartori <g....@elis.org>.
Il lun, 2003-10-20 alle 15:53, Lionel Crine ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> If you want to use the request and response object to get some parameters
> or so.
>
> Why don't you try the <xsp-request:.../> and <xsp:request .../> tag.

Because I need to pass to an already existant Java Class an
HTTPServetRequest object. I'm considering writing a logicsheet
encapsulating the functionalities of my object, but I'd like to know if
there's a way to make may existing object work with cocoon as it is.

Thanks,
Gianluca

Posted by Lionel Crine <cr...@4dconcept.fr>.
Hello,