Posted to users@maven.apache.org by uwe schaefer <uw...@uwe-schaefer.org> on 2010/11/17 12:03:59 UTC

Range resolution changed from 2.1?

Hi

citing a mail from the wicket-user list, as it has nothing to do with
the artifact resolved:

____
 > All is fine as long as I specify a certain version, e.g. 1.4.13
 > But using a version range does not work, e.g. [1.4.10,1.5)

well, that´s just spooky!

i tried to reproduce this and while maven 2.1 interprets [1.4.10,1.5) as
we would expect and chooses 1.5-SNAP, maven 2.2.1 as well as 3.0
cannot cope with such a range.

modifing the range to have the same "depth" like
[1.4,1.5) now works again in 2.2.1 and 3.0, but for some weird reason
(smell like char comparision instead of numbers?) it now chooses 1.4.9.

if that 1.5 snapshot should be in or out probably is a matter of
discussion with the maven folks:
[MNG-4751] - Snapshot version not resolved for version range

____

was there a change in the supposed range resolution i am not aware of?

thanks, uwe

Range resolution does not work as docuented? was: Range resolution changed from 2.1?

Posted by Uwe Schäfer <us...@thomas-daily.de>.
On 11/17/2010 07:36 PM, uwe schaefer wrote:

Hello,

i am sorry, but i am really puzzled about this. the way i get it,
(Snapshots aside) maven, from 2.2 on, does no longer work as documented
here:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution

can someone please confirm this and point me to the right document?
currently, we cannot update from 2.1 due to this problem, and we don´t
know what to change.

It is the same for a bunch of archetype POMs existing, the one from
Apache Wicket being one of them.

thanks, uwe

Re: Range resolution changed from 2.1?

Posted by uwe schaefer <uw...@uwe-schaefer.org>.
On 11/17/2010 07:22 PM, Mark Derricutt wrote:

Hi Mark,

> AFAIK the changes to range resolution were reverted, tho I've never
> used mixed level numbers, we use [1.3.19,2.0.0) - always to the three
> levels.

in the case looked at, even those do not work as expected

1.4.9 > 1.4.10

not to mention that 1.5-SNAPSHOT is no longer looked at, too.

2.1 worked with mixed levels as well (even though that change would be
bareable from my pov), that´s why i am wondering.

cu uwe

Re: Range resolution changed from 2.1?

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
AFAIK the changes to range resolution were reverted, tho I've never
used mixed level numbers, we use [1.3.19,2.0.0) - always to the three
levels.

Mark

--
"Great artists are extremely selfish and arrogant things" — Steven
Wilson, Porcupine Tree