Posted to dev@predictionio.apache.org by Jim Miller <je...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/07 20:08:00 UTC

Adding Data to the Event Server

Hi,

I am a little unclear about how the Event Server gets updated.  Using the
"Tapster" demo as an example. If a user adds a new Comic into the system so
its added to the PostgreSQL database, when does the event server get
updated? If a cron job has to be used, then the new Comic will not be
available until the Event Server gets updated OR does it happen live?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jim

Re: Adding Data to the Event Server

Posted by Jim Miller <je...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chan for the quick reply. I will test this weekend!

Jim

--
Jim Miller

On October 7, 2016 at 7:17:30 PM, Chan Lee (chanlee514@gmail.com) wrote:

Hi Jim,

When you create a new comic, you would send a POST request to
<eventserver-url>/events.json, or use `pio import` to batch import. In the
demo, this would be a '$set' event for 'item'. This would update the
PostgreSQL database, in particular, the table "pio_event_<pio_app_id>", and
the new comic will be available for recommendation. The demo uses
PredictionIO Ruby SDK (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-predictionio-sdk-ruby) to make these
requests.

Chan