Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Phil Pinkerton <pc...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/21 12:12:31 UTC

Add generic MOTD to hooks scripts ?

Looking for a way to send or display a Notice like a MOTD ( Message of the day ) whenever any repository is accessed.

For example there will be a major change in Repository locations. Some projects already have pre and post commit hook scripts. What I want to do is advise the user who accesses their Repository of that change.

perhaps adding an email or message to be sent automagically to whoever accesses the repository ?

"Wish list'  would be a script easily modified and propagated to all repository hook directories

Ideas ?  Suggestions ( besides read the book  )

Phil

Re: Add generic MOTD to hooks scripts ?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 21, 2012, at 06:12, Phil Pinkerton wrote:

> Looking for a way to send or display a Notice like a MOTD ( Message of the day ) whenever any repository is accessed.
>
> For example there will be a major change in Repository locations. Some projects already have pre and post commit hook scripts. What I want to do is advise the user who accesses their Repository of that change.
>
> perhaps adding an email or message to be sent automagically to whoever accesses the repository ?
>
> "Wish list'  would be a script easily modified and propagated to all repository hook directories
>
> Ideas ?  Suggestions ( besides read the book  )

Sorry, not a feature present in Subversion. a) there are no hooks that are run when the repository is merely accessed (only hooks that run when the repository is modified); b) there is no way for a hook to send a message to the user unless it is an error message to report a failure.

Instead, communicate with your users via other means. Send them an email or instant message. Or post the notice on your web site.

Re: Add generic MOTD to hooks scripts ?

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Phil Pinkerton <pc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Looking for a way to send or display a Notice like a MOTD ( Message of the
> day ) whenever any repository is accessed.
>
> For example there will be a major change in Repository locations. Some
> projects already have pre and post commit hook scripts. What I want to do
> is advise the user who accesses their Repository of that change.
>
> perhaps adding an email or message to be sent automagically to whoever
> accesses the repository ?
>
> "Wish list'  would be a script easily modified and propagated to all
> repository hook directories
>
> Ideas ?  Suggestions ( besides read the book  )
>
> It sounds overly complex, and doesn't look to be present in any of the
access protocols. You could scan the access logs for Apache's mod_dav_svan
based access, or SSH based access for svn+ssh, or svnserve logs. But none
of them will detect filesystem based access.