Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Tim Wintle <ti...@teamrubber.com> on 2009/06/14 20:19:40 UTC

log of security fixes?

We are currently running a relatively old version of [PHP] shindig
(considerably prior to the 1.0 release), and I was wondering if there is
an easy way to review security updates since the revision we have in
production.

I believe there was some major re-factoring of the code since the
revision we have, which is what has put me off upgrading to 1.0 -
although I did pull in a few security fixes along the way.

Thanks,

Tim Wintle

Re: log of security fixes?

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Tim Wintle <ti...@teamrubber.com>wrote:

> That's sounding good - I exported at the beginning of December, and
> we're only using the gadgets part of shindig at the moment.
>
> I'm only really looking for security updates for now, so wading through
> a massive patch file wouldn't be ideal, and hopefully I can avoid that.

Then diffing against the stable 1.0.x release branch is exactly what you
want to do; There's been no large changes there except for some small bug
fixes, so the resulting patch should be quite small and review-able.

    -- Chris

Re: log of security fixes?

Posted by Tim Wintle <ti...@teamrubber.com>.
On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 21:25 +0200, Chris Chabot wrote:
> If you were already running a revision that supported 0.8.1, and
> you're looking to switch to the 1.0 release version, the amount of
> changes won't be to shocking, that's been relatively stable since nov
> 2008 or so.
>
> If however you are running a 0.7 revision and/or want to upgrade to
> 0.9 support, the social API bit has been refactored quite a bit in the
> 0.7 -> 0.8.1 process, and the gadget rendering pipeline has seen a
> good bit of refactoring during the 0.8.1 -> 0.9 process, so the
> changes will be quite major and if you really want to review each
> change, well there's no way to make that easier for you.
>
> Either way the best way to get an overview of the changes between your
> local revision and either the 1.0.x branch or trunk is by doing an svn
> checkout of both the local and target revisions, and running
> # diff -urN shindig-local-revision shindig-target-revision >
> changes.txt
> And reviewing the resulting diff.

Thanks Chris,

Re: log of security fixes?

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
Hey Tim,

It kind of depends on how far before the 1.0 release you're talking about;
And if you are looking to upgrade to the 1.0 version or switch over to the
trunk / 0.9 version once that's finalized.