Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> on 2011/10/03 00:51:48 UTC

Re: Performance degradation observed through embedded cassandra server - pointers needed

Deleting the data may not be the right approach here if you want to have a clean slate to start the next test. It will leave tombstones around, which may reduce your performance if you make a lot of deletes. It's pedantic, but it's different to truncate or drop.

Truncate is doing a few more things that result in something a bit more like a clean slate (https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-0.8.6/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/db/ColumnFamilyStore.java#L1969)

* flushes CF changes to disk
* discards commit logs
* snapshots existing SSTables
* marks the existing SSTables as compacted so they are no longer used in reads.

(drop keyspace is not too different)

If the slate you wish to clear, truncate or drop keyspace will be your friends.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton